Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mariasnake
    • By mariasnake 13th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mariasnake
    How big is student loan now?
    • 13th May 18, 12:22 PM
    How big is student loan now? 13th May 18 at 12:22 PM
    Hi, with a daughter at uni and having inherited some money, I am thinking about paying off her loan so she doesn't ever have to make repayments out of her salary. How can I or she find out the current size of her loan?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 5,601 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678799&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    • mariasnake
    • By mariasnake 13th May 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mariasnake
    • 13th May 18, 3:41 PM
    page unavailable
    • 13th May 18, 3:41 PM
    Thanks - have tried but page "currently unavailable". Will try again later
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 15th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 15th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 15th May 18, 6:16 AM
    Check the student finance pages on this site as paying off the loan might be a waste of money.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 15th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 15th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:49 AM
    I would agree that it might be unwise to pay the loan off now. Your daughter may never have to pay off her student loan. I would advise you invest the money. Depending on what happens you can either give your daughter a capital sum or pay her an amount per month to cover the loss of income when she starts paying the loan.

My instinct is that the above approach will work out much better for you both.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 4,451 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 16th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:48 AM
    Hi Mariasnake - welcome to the forum.

As she is still in Uni, would it be wiser to invest the money for her while she finishes her studies.

She will only have loan repayments deducted if she meets the threshold. When this happens you may want to reconsider if she is a higher earner. She may never earn enough to pay off the loan otherwise so as a low earner it wouldn't be the best use of the inheritance IMHO. Perhaps gifting her a lump sum when she is ready to take out a mortgage would be a better use.

While she is still studying there are alot of ifs, buts and maybes - waiting until she is in FT employment the better option.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,881Posts Today

7,351Users online

Martin's Twitter