Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RedWood1
    • By RedWood1 13th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RedWood1
    Moped provisional help!
    • 13th May 18, 11:26 AM
    Moped provisional help! 13th May 18 at 11:26 AM
    Hello there, i'm justs wondering if anyone would know the answer to this as i cant seem to find it listed anywhere on the DVLA website;

So, im 15 and 9 months and i have just applied for my moped provisional, my question is; when i get my provisional licence whats stopping me from riding? I mean if i go and do my CBT and they ask to see my provisional how would they know im not 16?

So, once i get my provisionl can i do my CBT even though i'm under 16? And if i pass my CBT and get my bike insured, taxed etc. will i be able to ride?

Many thanks
    Last edited by RedWood1; 13-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    z1a
    • 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    No .
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 13th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 13th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:04 PM
    They would be able to see your DOB on the provisional.

Just do everything legally, you will save yourself a lot of ballache in later life
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,638 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:44 PM
    So, im 15 and 9 months and i have just applied for my moped provisional, my question is; when i get my provisional licence whats stopping me from riding? I mean if i go and do my CBT and they ask to see my provisional how would they know im not 16?
    Originally posted by RedWood1
    Your date of birth is printed on your license. The date the license is valid from is printed on your license and it won't be valid before your 16th birthday.

So, once i get my provisionl can i do my CBT even though i'm under 16? And if i pass my CBT and get my bike insured, taxed etc. will i be able to ride?
    Not until you're 16. Get caught riding it before and you're going to get well and truly shafted and you'll be banned from driving.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 18,408 Posts
    • 16,624 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    If you're planning on riding before you're legally allowed, why even bother with the CBT/insurance/tax?

BTW, you won't find anybody that'll insure you before your 16th.
    • RedWood1
    • By RedWood1 13th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RedWood1
    • 13th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:03 PM
    I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16 it was only a question, maybe i worded it wrong but i would never do something that could get my licence taken away. Anyway guess i'll just have to wait another 3 months grrrr.... Thanks for the reply's everyone
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th May 18, 5:23 PM
    • 18,408 Posts
    • 16,624 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th May 18, 5:23 PM
    I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16 it was only a question, maybe i worded it wrong
    Maybe you did...

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th May 18, 5:23 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I got my provisional licence before I was 16 and along with your DOB, it has the categories you're entitled to on the back. The date for moped will be your 16th birthday and the date for car will be your 17th birthday. You can't just hop on a moped or drive a car just because you have a photo licence card in your hand.

Also no one will give you a CBT until you are 16 as you have to ride on the road to complete it.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 13th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:49 PM
    Ah, the impatience of youth!

We all had it once, then the memory of it fades for most of us, but not for me, riding before I was insured. The memory shocks me (a bit) but it happened.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK

We all had it once, then the memory of it fades for most of us, but not for me, riding before I was insured. The memory shocks me (a bit) but it happened.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    TBH I got a second hand moped when I was 16 and rode it to my grandparents to show them it before I had taxed and insured it. I did have a CBT though so thats one thing.

Had to wait a few weeks before I had the monies to do that!
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    I never said i was planning on riding it before i was 16...
    You didn't have to say it in as many words....

...guess i'll just have to wait another 3 months grrrr.... Thanks for the reply's everyone
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th May 18, 6:20 PM
    • 4,501 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    Joe Horner

Originally posted by Robisere
    And I never, ever, went out for a quiet evening (solo) spin down to the beach in my car while still on a provisional.

But, different times & all that.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    z1a
    And I never, ever, went out for a quiet evening (solo) spin down to the beach in my car while still on a provisional.

But, different times & all that.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    No, I also never did things like that on many many occasions either.

The things you could do before ANPR and speed cameras!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

915Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter