Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tozom
    • By Tozom 13th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tozom
    Motor accident - assumed my fault
    • 13th May 18, 10:35 AM
    Motor accident - assumed my fault 13th May 18 at 10:35 AM
    Just like to share my scenario and gain some feedback please...

I picked my spot to enter a busy roundabout, looked right to check again, looked back and car who was passing in front of me had emergency stopped as had been cut up, so I ploughed into the back of him on my motorbike... separating my shoulder and being whisked off to hospital.

The cost of repairing my bike is less than or similar to my excess so no point claiming for me but other car as a scrape and reflector needing to be fixed. He would rather not go through insurance as a company car (not sure why) and offered to get some quotes for me
    To pay.

What are risks of paying for his damage?
    Should I inform insurance of accident if neither would claim?
    As the guy I hit gave the police the Reg of the car who cut him up and didnít stop, is there a chance he would be persued and found at fault? Obviously would want my losses recouped then

Would obviously rather pay the guy £300 or so to not effect by insurance for the next 5 years but donít want it all to come back
    And haunt me.
Page 1
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 13th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 13th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:49 AM
    There is a very real risk of this coming back and biting you. You need to inform your insurer, but say that you do not wish to make a claim. If the other driver then does decide to claim you haven't failed to inform your insurer of the incident (which you are required to do under the terms of the policy).

You are at fault for your part of the accident. When you enter a roundabout you have to check that it is clear ahead of you, as well as to your right.

It is very suspicious that the other driver doesn't want to make a claim because it is a company car. That just doesn't make any sense, and makes me wonder what else might be going on.

Inform your insurers without further delay.
    • Tozom
    • By Tozom 13th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tozom
    • 13th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:57 PM
    Insurer has just contacted me as they have been made aware through the police recovery company.

Insurance will go up now anyway they know about it however wonder if thereís a difference whether he claims or not.

Plus I donít want to agree a price and then find out something else is wrong and he claims, meaning the whole thing could have been claimed.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:15 PM
    Let your insurers deal with it.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,052 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:26 PM
    Your insurer will be paying out for the recovery.

Thus you have a fault claim on your record and loss of NCD if unprotected.

So just leave it to insurers to deal with
    • Tozom
    • By Tozom 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tozom
    • 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:38 PM
    I!!!8217;ve already paid for the recovery
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 13th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 13th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:53 PM
    Are you still considering doing anything other than letting your insurers deal with the whole issue? If you are then stop; act on the good advice you have had here, and let your insurers handle it. You will lose no claims and you will probably face an increase in your premiums, but these are far better than facing constant and escalating claims from the third party. You will be able to rebuild your no claims and your premiums will reduce over time.
    • Tozom
    • By Tozom 13th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tozom
    • 13th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 13th May 18, 2:11 PM
    No I will let them deal with it. However would have preferred to not lose my no claims as I am not claiming for me. But I guess it just is what it is
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,052 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 13th May 18, 2:24 PM
    If it's cost effective after this is settled you can get any lost NCD reinstated by reimbursing your insurer their outlay over the claim
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 14th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    If it's cost effective after this is settled you can get any lost NCD reinstated by reimbursing your insurer their outlay over the claim
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Never heard of that...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin