Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sophiedophie
    • By sophiedophie 13th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 16Thanks
    sophiedophie
    Painting a front door
    • 13th May 18, 10:18 AM
    Painting a front door 13th May 18 at 10:18 AM
    We want to paint our front door next weekend (provided we have decent weather!). We will be painting it the same colour - paint is currently in good condition but just a bit faded.

I have watched some youtube videos but am still not 100% on whether or not we need a primer as we're painting the same colour! I know we need to sand it down a bit but do we then just paint on top of that?

Also, no one says how much paint you need! Will 750ml do the whole door?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 13th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:27 AM
    No primer. Sand lightly to make key - then hoover up any loose dust from the floor and door then clean the door with methylated spirits on clean cloth. keep turning the cloth.

Paint the bit that fits in to the frame first as that's the bit you need dry first to be able to shut the door.

Paint with the grain not across it - and finish with long brush strokes from end to end to avoid leaving bush marks in the paint. Don't go back and do this after more than a minute or two depending on the paint.

750ml will be plenty
    • sophiedophie
    • By sophiedophie 13th May 18, 10:31 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sophiedophie
    • 13th May 18, 10:31 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:31 AM
    Thanks Lorian.

Would it make a difference if I sand the door today and paint it next weekend?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 13th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:35 AM
    it will be fine. just don't sand all the old paint off.

You might want to leave the cleaning of the door to the same day or the day before, but could do that today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin