Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 13th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 260Posts
    • 167Thanks
    exiled_red
    BT sport Champions League Final
    • 13th May 18, 9:44 AM
    BT sport Champions League Final 13th May 18 at 9:44 AM
    I am wondering what the options are if you want to watch the Champions League Final and am looking for short term BT sport options, I was hoping for a day pass or something like Sky do but BT don't seem to do it. I have BT broadband and thought about signing up for it and cancelling it just after but the cooling off period doesn't allow you to do this if you have actually used it, and the shortest contract is for 18 months

I just wondered if anyone knew any way to get a short term access or subscription...
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 13th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    • 13th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:44 AM
    Doesn't BT Broadband give you 'free' access to BT Sport?

If not, do you know someone who you could 'borrow' the log in details from?

Or ... it's bound to be on in the pub!!!
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 13th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 13th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by J B

My BT broadband allows me to add BT sport access on the app and online for 7 a month on an 18 month contract, which I don't want to do.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 33,553 Posts
    • 39,651 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:24 AM
    Any BT sport customer can log the app on for you
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 13th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 13th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:43 AM
    Most of my family friends and neighbours aren't really into sports, and those that are I don't believe have BT sport.

This is one of the biggest sporting events in the world and I am happy to pay BT to watch it, but I don't seem to be able to unless I want to subscribe for 18 months. Yes I could go to the pub to watch it but I'd prefer to watch it at home, I'd rather not borrow someone's login, even if I could find a friend who has it.

It just seems stupid that there is no option for myself and presumably many others who would want to watch this at home to do so.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by J B
    As far as I know, the 'free' access is to BT Sport 1, but they will show the CL Final on BT Sport 2, in part to 'encourage' people to subscribe to the full version of BTSport , quite understandable given the money they paid for the rights to show it.
    If you have Sky TV you can add BT Sport on a one month contract, but as well as the month subs (27 ish) there is a set up fee, that takes it well over 50
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-05-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 13th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 13th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:00 PM
    https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/how-to-watch-the-champions-league-final

For that immersive near-stadium experience, BT will also broadcast the final in stunning 4K Ultra HD, complete with Dolby Atmos surround sound. The 4K version will be broadcast on BT Sport Ultra HD, as well as on YouTube for free.
    I knew previous years have been on youtube, seems this years is as well
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,268 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/how-to-watch-the-champions-league-final

Originally posted by marcarm

I think the article is just guessing at the moment based on previous years as there seems to be nothing that BT have actually confirmed yet for this year.

The Europa League final doesn't appear to be free this year like it was last, so it's possible the Champions League won't be either.

• exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 13th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 13th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by marcarm

Great thanks for that, I knew previous years had been but I hadn't seen anything about this year, and I thought that I had read somewhere that they were no longer needing to show matches for free.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 13th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    exiled_red
    I think the article is just guessing at the moment based on previous years as there seems to be nothing that BT have actually confirmed yet for this year.

The Europa League final doesn't appear to be free this year like it was last, so it's possible the Champions League won't be either.
    Originally posted by mije1983

Ah I was hoping to get a plan in place, if the link above was just guessing that is rather frustrating. I had been looking for links from BT saying it would be free on BT showcase or youtube but can't find anything since the Europa league semi finals.
    • pen1
    • By pen1 13th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    pen1
    BT will provide free coverage of this year's Champions League
    Final- they undertook to do so when acquiring the rights.

They will also show free coverage of the Europa League Final live
    this coming Wednesday (16/5), but have yet to confirm the details. They are currently promoting subscriptions, but details of free coverage have eventually appeared in an article on www.btsport.com in previous seasons.

Last year's free coverage was provided on Freeview, Sky,
    Virgin Media, BT.com, BT Sport app, BT Sport VR app
    and Youtube. Access on Sky boxes was via BT Sport 2 SD.

There may be differences to the above this year. Coverage on Freeview is uncertain, for example, because BT appear to be in the process of closing their free "Showcase" channel.

From next season, BT's Champions League and Europa League rights are exclusive and there will be no highlights on ITV. BT will provide free coverage- largely highlights/clips online. They will continue to show the 2 finals live for free, however.
    • pen1
    • By pen1 13th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    pen1
    Great thanks for that, I knew previous years had been but I hadn't seen anything about this year, and I thought that I had read somewhere that they were no longer needing to show matches for free.
    Originally posted by exiled_red
    Aside from https://www.btsport.com/ keep a check on
    https://www.btplc.com/News/#/latest_news/tag/sport#filter-list-items

This is where a full list of free viewing options appeared last
    year.

This was last year's announcement:
    https://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/bt-sport-makes-the-uefa-champions-league-final-availble-to-all-on-tv-online-and-in-360-degrees-virtual-reality-1970797
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 33,553 Posts
    • 39,651 Thanks
    Browntoa
    There's a new BT sport boxoffice channel on sky , wonder if they will get it on there , it's a bit vague about when the channel goes live through
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 15th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Details of Free to Watch are now at http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-to-show-free-uefa-champions-league-final-and-uefa-europa-league-final-live-streams-S11364271609429
    Ways to watch for free

BTSport.com - btsport.com/final
    BT Sport app - Download for iOS or Android
    YouTube - youtube.com/btsport
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 15th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    mac.d
    I don't think there has been any change to their requirement to show a certain number of games available for free, apart from what platform they choose to air it on.

Nowadays they just make it available online via their BT Sport app or the BT website & YouTube, which means there will be a number of people with just Freeview TV not able to watch it.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 15th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Just to let you know, both finals will be shown live for free on all platforms. Sky, TalkTalk, freeview, etc. They told me me the sky channel but I cannot remember it.

As has been said above, BT have to show the finals for free on all platforms.

Great for me as I am a Liverpool fans.
    • pen1
    • By pen1 15th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    pen1
    Just to let you know, both finals will be shown live for free on all platforms. Sky, TalkTalk, freeview, etc. They told me me the sky channel but I cannot remember it.

As has been said above, BT have to show the finals for free on all platforms.

Great for me as I am a Liverpool fans.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    Per the article by BT above, posted by @gsmlnx:

Aside from the free online offering, having a BT Sport subscription is the only way to enjoy a big-screen TV experience for both finals.
    BT announced, when winning the rights, that it would "show a selection of these new matches for free on BT Sport ..... The finals of each tournament will be showcased in this fashion .....".

There was no guarantee of platforms in the announcement, and BT
    have announced this year that free coverage of the 2018 finals will be online live streams only.

Original announcement in 2013:
    https://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/bt-wins-all-live-uk-tv-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-1077612
    • pen1
    • By pen1 15th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    pen1
    BT corporate announcement- Virgin Channel 100 has been added to
    "Ways to watch the UEFA Champions League Final and UEFA Europa League Final for free":

BT.com BTsport.com/final
    BT Sport app Download from the app store
    You Tube youtube.com/btsport
    Virgin 100

https://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/bt-sport-makes-european-football-finals-available-to-millions-for-free-2507936
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 15th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Trust BT to put up 2 articles and to put different information in both.
    Come on BT - publish just 1 link and update it.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 33,553 Posts
    • 39,651 Thanks
    Browntoa
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/bt-sport-tv-offer-free-access-for-all-to-liverpool-v-real-madrid-match.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

3,839Users online

Martin's Twitter