Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • derrick
    • By derrick 13th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 7,052Posts
    • 2,290Thanks
    derrick
    Live Mail 2012
    • 13th May 18, 9:14 AM
    Live Mail 2012 13th May 18 at 9:14 AM
    I have Gmail and Yahoo email accounts both forwarded to Windows Live Mail 2012, a few days ago I got a security from Google along the lines of " you received this message because your Yahoo account is listed as the recovery email for ******@gmail.com. If ******@gmail.com is not your Google account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails." The Yahoo account is my recovery email and has been for a long while.

When clicking on "receive mail" I get a pop up "Windows Live Mail. the server has rejected your login. Please verify that your user name and password are correct" I click OK "server; imap.gmail.com', username and password boxes are already populated so I press OK, but again get " Windows Live Mail. the server has rejected your login. Please verify that your user name and password are correct" I click OK and go round again in circles.

The login details are OK, I can get into Gmail and Yahoo from desktop and Lenova tablet without problems, it just seems to be the forwarding mechanism.

I am getting the following "Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details."Windows Live Mail.
    Tasks: Check for messages on Gmail******, Status: Warnings.
    Errors: Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail ******) account. Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete. The operation was cancelled by the user.

Server Response: WEBALERT (I have cut out the link as it sends to my account) Web login required.
    Server: 'imap.gmail.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
    Protocol: IMAP
    Port: 993
    Secure(SSL): Yes

We received a notification about your 'Gmail (******)' account: Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure). I have tried this but can't make head or tail. I changed my pass word yesterday but only because of the security alert and I can log into Gmail and Yahoo from my desktop and tablet.

WEBALERT (I have cut out the link as it sends to my account). Web login required.

Configuration:
    Account: Gmail (******)
    Server: imap.gmail.com
    Username: ******
    Protocol: IMAP
    Port: 993
    Secure(SSL): 1
    Code: 800cccd1

Any ideas as to the cause and how to, (easily), rectify?

TIA.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Page 2
    • derrick
    • By derrick 15th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    The error message that sends you to https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754 seems to suggest you have two step verification set up on your account. Either that or you have to change the "Allow less secure apps" setting in your Gmail when you sign in on the website as detailed above.

Forget the Office 2000 thing, its a red herring (and that version is so old its untrue, be a miracle if it works with anything these days).
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I don't have 2 step verification, I tried the allow less secure apps, it made no difference so went back. as I have said, I can sign in without problems when going straight to the Gmail or Yahoo sites, it is trying to access via the forwarding application re Live Mail or Thunderbird as it keeps asking for my username and password, which I know I am entering correctly.

• J B
    • By J B 15th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    J B
    Not fully understanding this, sorry, but I can get my gmail messages using POP3 on Thunderbird.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 15th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    Not fully understanding this, sorry, but I can get my gmail messages using POP3 on Thunderbird.
    Originally posted by J B

I don't actually think it is a problem with POP, but more that I seem "locked out" as it won't accept my password.

• derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    Is there a particular reason why you want to use POP? Thunderbird supports OAUTH2 and IMAP for gmail.
    Originally posted by stragglebod

No reason as such, just that is how it was set up originally on Outlook Express, then to Live Mail, and as I can't get into any mail client, (except via the direct sites), I cannot check the details or change them.

• derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    That link is just showing you how to use office online . Not the same.

Check your PM box
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I have downloaded 2007, have managed to import my address book, it will not/cannot import my mail folders.

I have tried to send an email to my Gmail account but it just gets stuck in my outbox and won't send, (same as if I try to send from Live Mail).

• derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    That link is just showing you how to use office online . Not the same.
    Did you wait for the add to finish or "skip add"? As there is a guy telling you how to install and use it.

Under Help in 2007 it says: "Office 2007 is now retired. Update to a newer Office version to get product support."

Last edited by derrick; 16-05-2018 at 9:22 AM.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Did you wait for the add to finish or "skip add"? As there is a guy telling you how to install and use it.
    Originally posted by derrick

Did you watch the video ?
    The guy is installing nothing, he is showing you how to use office online - which is not installing office

And of course office 2007 is now out of support, they want you to buy the latest version, but it still works fine

Have you entered your correct account details and your imap details for each account into outlooks settings, and used test connection ?

Again though, from previous PM's it seems you have office 2010 - or did you not install that on your own computer ?
    Last edited by AndyPix; 16-05-2018 at 9:34 AM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    Did you watch the video ?
    The guy is installing nothing, he is showing you how to use office online - which is not installing office

And of course office 2007 is now out of support, they want you to buy the latest version, but it still works fine

Have you entered your correct account details and your imap details for each account into outlooks settings, and used test connection ?

Again though, from previous PM's it seems you have office 2010 - or did you not install that on your own computer ?

OK it looks like I misinterpreted the video.

I doubt I have entered account details and imap settings, would not know where to start, I assumed as Outlook had opened and I imported email addresses and it did not show any sign in problems that it was OK, obviously not.

I have tried some settings then test and get:-
    Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Again the only version of Office I have is 2000, along with Word 2000.

• derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    I have tried various settings and am now getting the same result as I got with Live Mail, Thunderbird and Outlook 2007

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR Login failed.

Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.

It keeps asking for user name and password.

• wongataa
    • By wongataa 16th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    wongataa
    Have you actually verified the correct server settings you need to input into any mail client yet to connect with your email services?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    Have you actually verified the correct server settings you need to input into any mail client yet to connect with your email services?
    Originally posted by wongataa

Wouldn't know how to do that, it is a new account, I have assumed the details I have put in are correct. The reason I can't get into any of the clients is because they keep asking for my Gmail password and user name. I am using the ones I sign into Gmail where I can login without problems.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    AndyPix

Again the only version of Office I have is 2000, along with Word 2000.

Originally posted by derrick

But you have now installed office 2007 yes ?
    This is getting confusing

If yes to the above - go to control panel, accounts, and enter the username, password and imap settings for your accounts.

Read this :
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en
    • derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    But you have now installed office 2007 yes ?
    This is getting confusing

If yes to the above - go to control panel, accounts, and enter the username, password and imap settings for your accounts.

Read this :
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

I have Office 2007 installed as per post #25.

I have gone to control panel, accounts but nowhere to enter password unless I create a new one, and definitely no imap info. It only shows, "Make changes to your user account", I don't even know the original details.

Have used info from your link re Outlook but no change, Outlook starts to send then comes up with the error as above.

I am going to have to take this to a shop.

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Dont take it to a shop, this is really easy ..

You need to make sure outlook is configured with all the correct info and settings to use your gmail account.

So first , do the bits from my first link, to allow outlook to access gmail, then configure outlook to use that gmail account - read here :-
    https://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

Obviously substitute the imap settings in that guide for the correct google ones shown in the first link
    eg imap.google.com

Then click "test account settings" and it will work
    Last edited by AndyPix; 16-05-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • derrick
    • By derrick 16th May 18, 2:52 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    Dont take it to a shop, this is really easy ..

You need to make sure outlook is configured with all the correct info and settings to use your gmail account.

So first , do the bits from my first link, to allow outlook to access gmail, then configure outlook to use that gmail account - read here :-
    https://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

Obviously substitute the imap settings in that guide for the correct google ones shown in the first link
    eg imap.google.com

Then click "test account settings" and it will work
    Yes everything is easy when you know how

I can't even get to the window, "add a new email account", because it doesn't appear.

I have managed to get to a page where the top of the window says "add new E-mail Accounts", but it is not the same as in your link

It asks for the "password your Internet service provider has given you", this is where I might be failing because I am entering my Gmail password which may not be the same, (my internet provider is EE), although just checking and it appears it is the same, although this is my password for EE and may not be the same as "password your Internet service provider has given you".

After clicking next it searches for server settings, then returns, "Problem connecting to server". this is when searching using encrypted and unencrypted searches.

Actually it does not even open a set up Wizard.

Last edited by derrick; 16-05-2018 at 3:06 PM.

• derrick
    • By derrick 17th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    OK Live Mail is working again. Having spoken to Gmail CS, although the guy I spoke to was not on Gmail help he did assist.

When I got an email security alert the other day from Gmail, (below),I did click on the "allowing access to less secure apps", as I have mentioned in this thread, but it made no difference, but during the phone call with Gmail it was suggested I try this again, and lo and behold I now have Live Mail working, I have also sent a test mail from Thunderbird and that arrived in Live Mail, Outlook still seems to be giving problems, but I can live with that.

I was wondering if I may have any problems with allowing "less secure apps" and what might they be, (apps and potential problems)?

"Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account ******@gmail.com from an app that may put your account at risk.
    Less secure app
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:46 AM (United Kingdom Time)
    United Kingdom*

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin