Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mwpt
    • By mwpt 13th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,487Posts
    • 3,064Thanks
    mwpt
    Extending end of terrace wider than original house
    • 13th May 18, 9:05 AM
    Extending end of terrace wider than original house 13th May 18 at 9:05 AM
    We'd like to do a rear extension on our end of terrace house. We could go 6m out under permitted development if we stayed within the width of the original house, which is what others in the area have done. This is the easy option. However, we're thinking we'd like to maximise what we get for our money and since we have a meter+ to the side it might be a good idea to extend 6m out and 1m wider in the extended part (not the original house). The houses are fairly narrow so the extra 1m width would make a lot of difference. The down-side is we'd lose the easy access to the rear garden that the side gate entrance gives.

My next step is to contact the council but before that I wanted to ask if anyone here had done this, or has any advice in general. Should we be considering it, is it too difficult to obtain planning permission, are there things to beware of, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:36 AM
    Single storey?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 25,775 Posts
    • 69,793 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:06 AM
    I doubt it will be the most controversial scheme they'll have seen.

All you can do is ask. They have to justify why they would refuse something under planning law - side extensions are incredibly common. Unless there's some nearby feature that is affected then it sounds like a pretty straightforward thing.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 29,786 Posts
    • 76,334 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:32 AM
    However, we're thinking we'd like to maximise what we get for our money and since we have a meter+ to the side it might be a good idea to extend 6m out and 1m wider in the extended part (not the original house). The houses are fairly narrow so the extra 1m width would make a lot of difference. The down-side is we'd lose the easy access to the rear garden that the side gate entrance gives.
    Originally posted by mwpt
    Do the inner terrace houses have a right of way through your side entrance?
    • mwpt
    • By mwpt 13th May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    mwpt
    • 13th May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13th May 18, 2:07 PM
    Do the inner terrace houses have a right of way through your side entrance?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Good question, I'm not sure. I guess the council will know? Certainly they cannot currently access their gardens through my side entrance but maybe there is some old covenant allowing this.

It's a single story rear extension. The house is 5m wide. Making the rear extension 6m x 6m gives us more options in terms of layout, but the down-sides are extra cost, extra admin because it'll be planning permission rather than permitted development, lose the side access directly to the garden, and I believe we'll have some liability to the neighbours in terms of it being close up to the boundary so it'll be a "party wall".

Trying understand if it's worth it so was hoping to hear from someone who'd made a similar decision.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    • 13th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 13th May 18, 2:18 PM
    Good question, I'm not sure. I guess the council will know? Certainly they cannot currently access their gardens through my side entrance but maybe there is some old covenant allowing this.
    Originally posted by mwpt
    Council will not know or care, it will be contained in your and the neighbour's deeds.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,857Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter