Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 13th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 632Posts
    • 397Thanks
    barrymung
    0 WOW
    Getting to Hyde Park
    • 13th May 18, 8:49 AM
    0 WOW
    Getting to Hyde Park 13th May 18 at 8:49 AM
    Coming to Hyde park in July and wondered the best way to get there from Hampshire? There are a number of us going...

Do we:

Go by train+tube (Expensive)
    Drive and park as near Hyde Park as possible
    Drive, park on the outskirts and tube the rest (Maybe park at a cheap hotel)

Any recommendations/advice?
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 13th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 6,289 Posts
    • 6,778 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 13th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:32 PM
    What time / day of the week ?

<edit> and is it when there is an event on in Hyde Park (in which case I think your second option is probably not going to be feasible)
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 13-05-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    barrymung
    • 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:20 PM
    Hi,

Yes, it's an event and it's on a Friday..
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 19,494 Posts
    • 45,200 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 13th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:33 PM
    Which end of Hyde Park? It's a big park with different entrances on different tube lines.

Is train/tube really going to be more expensive if you take into consideration petrol and parking?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • barrymung
    • By barrymung 13th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    barrymung
    • 13th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:30 PM
    Well, we're looking at 170-230 for train/tube! London is less than 2 hours away by car.

"Parade Ground East Side" is the location, apparently.
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 13th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 13th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 13th May 18, 6:51 PM
    Have you checked Advance ticket prices on, presumably, SWT?
    I got a return from Portsmouth for 18 last month.

If it!!!8217;s more convenient to drive, because of work etc, Guildford!!!8217;s usually pretty good for parking after about 3pm. Costs though!
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 14th May 18, 1:35 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    colcheslad
    • 14th May 18, 1:35 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:35 PM
    I've parked at Hounslow West before when coming from that way, it's a big car park and cost about a fiver all day. On the Piccadilly line as well so you can go straight to Hyde Park Corner.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 14th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 14th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:33 PM
    Another option is Osterley tube station car park (around 6) on the A4 and always has spaces. Closer in than Hounslow which sometimes has the car park turn into a market at the weekend.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 14th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 14th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:48 PM
    If you want to park near Hyde Park then it will cost a bomb and if you are going in the week then you will have the congestion charge.

Just get the train. It wont cost that much difference and will be much easier....
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 10,256 Posts
    • 10,238 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    "Parade Ground" is at the NE corner of the park, nearest to Marble Arch tube station.

Depending on day and time, maybe use free on-street parking at Southfields Tube (near the top of the A3) and tube from there.

Or from the M3, maybe Turnham Green tube?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 15th May 18, 12:24 AM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 7,918 Thanks
    KeithP
    If you want to park near Hyde Park then it will cost a bomb and if you are going in the week then you will have the congestion charge.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Hyde Park and all areas to the south, north and west of it are outside the Congestion Charging Zone. Even Park Lane to the east of the park is outside the zone.

See this map.
    • hjonadfield
    • By hjonadfield 6th Jun 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hjonadfield
    My parents normally drive up to Reading or Similar and then take a quicker/less expensive train in. Or park in Zone 3-6 and Tube it.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 6th Jun 18, 11:14 PM
    • 2,789 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Change at Clapham Junction and get a train to Victoria and walk from there would be my recommendation. You miss so much in major cities by taking the underground and it's not a long distance to walk. Driving into central London is not fun!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • martindow
    • By martindow 7th Jun 18, 12:28 PM
    • 7,640 Posts
    • 4,352 Thanks
    martindow
    My parents normally drive up to Reading or Similar and then take a quicker/less expensive train in. Or park in Zone 3-6 and Tube it.
    Originally posted by hjonadfield
    I wouldn't recommend Reading for cheap parking - around 20 for the day at the station car park. There is a very good train service with fast trains taking 25 minutes to Paddington every 10 minutes or so.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 19th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Have you checked Advance ticket prices on, presumably, SWT?
    Originally posted by jfdi
    South West Trains lost the franchise best part of a year ago, it's South Western Railways now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Baldsaint: @MartinSLewis We were on a cruise to the West Indies and America (sun, sun, sun and even more sun) when the beast from the e?

• RT @MikeHoxard: @MartinSLewis I always want some rain at home when I am away so may garden is okay when get back ... so is that gardenfraud?

• This is a technical article, but it's a good primer to help understand why a change to accounting practice being di? https://t.co/vKOa8Zm3OI

• Follow Martin