Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firstascent
    • By firstascent 13th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    firstascent
    Repairing credit rating
    • 13th May 18, 8:32 AM
    Repairing credit rating 13th May 18 at 8:32 AM
    Hi
    Until recently Ive had very high credit card utilisation and thus a low score.
    Ive now been in a position where I can start paying all of this off gradually. I havent missed any payments in last 6 years, no defaults or iva, bankruptcy. Im monitoring my credit score on clearscore like a hawk. My score at the end of last year was 278, then up to 324 now its at 348. I have paid off around 6k debt this year already in line with this, so now at 60% total utilisation (as opposed to 80+ not so long ago). Estimating to be debt clear totally in 12-18 months, paying off c. 1k a month. Im presuming with no negative factors showing on my report, my credit score will just naturally go up and up as I pay off more debt? Or is there a historical impact that you 'used to have' high utilisation so it still is a 6 year wait similar to if you have had defaults?
    Any help/ advice much appreciated
    Kind regards
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 32,101 Posts
    • 20,197 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:37 AM
    Hi
    Until recently Ive had very high credit card utilisation and thus a low score.
    Ive now been in a position where I can start paying all of this off gradually. I havent missed any payments in last 6 years, no defaults or iva, bankruptcy. Im monitoring my credit score on clearscore like a hawk. My score at the end of last year was 278, then up to 324 now its at 348. I have paid off around 6k debt this year already in line with this, so now at 60% total utilisation (as opposed to 80+ not so long ago). Estimating to be debt clear totally in 12-18 months, paying off c. 1k a month. Im presuming with no negative factors showing on my report, my credit score will just naturally go up and up as I pay off more debt? Or is there a historical impact that you 'used to have' high utilisation so it still is a 6 year wait similar to if you have had defaults?
    Any help/ advice much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Originally posted by firstascent
    If you want to worry about your score there are 2 other agencies who rate on a different scale.

Dont worry about repairing your score ?
    Only you can see it, focus on your history which is what lenders etc can see.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:53 AM
    Maybe.

But if the wind changes direction it may go down.

Ignore the scores and ratings as no lender sees them and focus on the history and data on your files.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 17,652 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:19 AM

Im presuming with no negative factors showing on my report, my credit score will just naturally go up and up as I pay off more debt?
    Originally posted by firstascent
    No. It will drop when you clear the debt as it's a significant change, hence its uselessness.

Continue to clear the debt, but also give thought to building good history via sensible use of a credit card. Clear in full each month.

Make sure everything else on your three files is in order.
    • Superhoop91
    • By Superhoop91 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Superhoop91
    • 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:21 PM
    Unfortunately none of the three posts above helped actually answer the question of "does having high credit utilisation in the past damage your credit history for a long period or will lenders only look at your current situation when running a report. If they look at historic data then for how long, is it up to 6 years like defaults ." Instead people just saw the word credit score and jumped on the OP like a leech. Sure educate people the uselessness of the "score" but at least attempt to answer the question.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 13th May 18, 4:03 PM
    Sorry - please, go ahead and provide the answer
    • Superhoop91
    • By Superhoop91 13th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Superhoop91
    • 13th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 13th May 18, 4:52 PM
    I'm interested in the answer as I'm in a similar situation actually.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th May 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th May 18, 4:58 PM
    • 13th May 18, 4:58 PM
    Lenders will see 6 years of data from your reports.

So they can see credit balance and limits.

Thusly working out utilisation.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 17,652 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 13th May 18, 5:00 PM
    The answer is that all lenders are different.

The more prime the lender, the more critical they will be of older history.

A lender who operates in a higher risk environment will be more forgiving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,659Posts Today

9,564Users online

Martin's Twitter