Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 13th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 3,874Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    Noisy Neighbours - DIY
    • 13th May 18, 8:01 AM
    Noisy Neighbours - DIY 13th May 18 at 8:01 AM
    First let me apologise if this in the wrong section, and for the long post.

We have lived in our house for 30 years, for 20 of those we had horrible neighbours - but had little to do with them and kept ourselves to ourselves - they moved out 2 years ago and we were delighted as the younger couple that moved in seemed pleasant, we thought things would improve - how wrong could we be.

At the end of the first week one night we were woken up by hammering which started at gone midnight - I went out and knocked, it took them 10 minutes or more to answer - and I told them they needed to stop as it wasn't acceptable and that we had work the next day - they explained that they were hiring a sander for the floors the next day and needed make preparations - but they would stop for now!!! They made no apology but stopped and the next couple of days we had the noise of constant sanding up until gone 9 at night.

Then a couple of months later they moved out and had builders in to knock down chimneys, plastering and fitting an en-suite - the builders were great stopped all noisy work by 5.30 pm and cleaned up etc.

Since then the couple has moved back in and the DIY noise is everyweek, at strange hours - on more than one occasion starting after midnight, recently waking me up when he started scraping paint of the woodwork on the wall adjoining our bedroom (and their main bedroom) at 12.35 a.m. We banged on the wall on that occasion as I physically couldn't go out and knock, he stopped and for the next week I knocked on regular occasions when i knew they were in to talk about the noise, but they didn't answer. I then took in a parcel for them and when she knocked to collect it I said that we needed another talk about the noise, she was apologetic and very upset but he came out and started having a go at me telling me that he wasn't using power tools so it was ok to scrape paint etc - he really didnot get how much we can hear, i told him that I really didn't want to make a complaint to the council but it had now got to the point that I would if things didn't improve.

This morning he has again woken us up but this time scraping on the wall in our bedroom again - at 7 a.m. I am really torn as to what to do I think now that I need to contact the council. This is currently impacting on my health - I have osteo-arthritis, fibromyalgia and am currently recieving treatment for thyroid cancer.

Sorry to vent but I just wanted to get this off my chest - I think the time has come to ring environmental health and make a complaint, we've put this off as we want to move in the next 12/18 months.
    Last edited by no.1swimmum; 13-05-2018 at 8:03 AM.
    Fibro-Warrior
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 5,721 Posts
    • 5,385 Thanks
    anselld
    • 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    Unfortunately people who work 9-5 jobs may still want to do some diy.

Some noise between the hous of 7am and 11pm would generally be acceptable. Outside those hours not on.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/noise-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 13th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    • 13th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:26 AM
    Thanks for your reply - DIY up to 11 pm I am surprised. He is at home all day as DH is here in the mornings and I only work until lunchtimes (when I am working - which is not at the moment) but he often doesn't start until 8pm onward.

I will ring the local council tomorrow for advice.
    Fibro-Warrior
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 13th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 13th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:31 AM
    You mention moving in the next 12/18 months; is it possible to bring your plans forward and try and move sooner? before relations between you and neighbours deteriorate even further.
    • captainusa
    • By captainusa 13th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    captainusa
    • 13th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:33 AM
    Unfortunately, we found the council advice useless. Our council send out numerous warnings first before supplying us with recording equipment. Then, when they provided us with said equipment they explain exactly what is happening to the noisy neighbors. So of course there was no noise when we had the recording equipment. It did solve the problem though. We had anti social music all day and night for three years and it’s been okay for the last two. Soured any possible good relationships with the neighbors and now that we’ve sold our number 1 priority is a detached house!
    • anselld
    • By anselld 13th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 5,721 Posts
    • 5,385 Thanks
    anselld
    • 13th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:38 AM
    Unfortunately, we found the council advice useless. Our council send out numerous warnings first before supplying us with recording equipment. Then, when they provided us with said equipment they explain exactly what is happening to the noisy neighbors. So of course there was no noise when we had the recording equipment. It did solve the problem though. We had anti social music all day and night for three years and it’s been okay for the last two. Soured any possible good relationships with the neighbors and now that we’ve sold our number 1 priority is a detached house!
    Originally posted by captainusa
    Not sure how problem solved equates to useless advice. Seems to have been successful in your case.
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 13th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    • 13th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:58 AM
    Thanks for all your replies, I am surprised that noisy diy i.e. hammering and drilling can continue until 11pm, when are we allowed to relax sometimes we can’t even hear the tv because of the noise!

Unfortunately I doubt that we can bring forward our expected moving date, I can’t contemplate moving until my treatment is finished and our youngest has completed uni. He is living at home and we want to move some distance away!
    Fibro-Warrior
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 25,059 Posts
    • 92,622 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    I think the time has come to ring environmental health and make a complaint, we've put this off as we want to move in the next 12/18 months.
    Originally posted by no.1swimmum
    If you are happy to flag up the noisy neighbour to your prospective buyers, carry on, but once the complaints become formal, you'll have to declare this on the seller's information form. (TA6)

7am is early on a Sunday, but the birds and someone on a large tractor woke me in my detached house in the counry a long time before that. I didn't get stressed; I got up and thought what a lovely morning it was!
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 13th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 13th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:45 AM
    Let me give the story from the other side, as this was me nearly 30 years ago.

I had bought a 1930's semi, completely neglected for probably the last 30 years in a terrible state, most buyers today would not even have moved into it and deemed it uninhabitable.

Anyway it was the location that sold it, and I had to bring it up to standard on a shoe string budged which meant do it all myself. so I could only work after work and at weekends, and it would take a long time.

I had some really noisy work to do, I had a wall to knock down. So I went and had a chat with the neighbours. What I asked them, was would they inform me when they were going out, so that I could do the noisy work while they were out. The guy exploded going off into a rant "I shouldn't have to go out to get away from your noise". I tried to explain I was not asking him to go out especially , but when he did go out to let me know so I could do the heavy work.

I got nowhere with this. So I just dd the work to suit me and never spoke to the neighbours.

My point is they HAVE to do the work. So if, unlike my neighbour, you can agree times to do the work, it will be better for both of you. If, like my neighbour, you refuse to even discuss it, then expect them to carry on at all hours.

Remember any time you get them to stop, only DELAYS the work being done.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 13th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I have some sympathy with both sides here, but employing someone to do the work means they do so in the part of the day when most people are out at work. DIY, is done whenever, so I do think that to be neighbourly that should be factored into the issue even maybe before the house purchase is made.

We had almost 2 years of it next door (at one point 3 weeks before Xmas) their builder put in a hole in the wall in our dining room! It was sorted out with no hassle, but the noise element from their DIY which was the bulk of the work they did was a major inconvenience, especially as my OH worked from home at that point.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 13,960 Posts
    • 18,383 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Thanks for your reply - DIY up to 11 pm I am surprised.
    Originally posted by no.1swimmum
    So am I. This is the guidance on DIY hours from Cheshire East Council...

"The times you will be doing the work (we recommend that you only carry out noisy work between 9:00am and 8:00pm and try to ensure that noisy works are undertaken in the middle of this time period)."
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 13th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    I'm also very surprised that DIY up until 11pm is generally considered acceptable, it's just as intrusive as noise that would considered more antisocial such as loud music.

I've had 2 previous houses where neighbours DIY noise was an issue, one where the neighbour was a bored, lonely divorcee after his wife left him... so he occupied his spare time by constantly working on the house doing all sorts of pointless projects. Another where the house was empty and being renovated by the owner's son in law, who only ever worked on it at evenings and weekends... for 4 years!
    • yoshiyella
    • By yoshiyella 13th May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    yoshiyella
    My take on this:

It is not the new neighbours. It is your old neighbours. They have stung you and you are not wanting to put up with what you are perceiving as the same.

Go around and speak to her (he seems grumpy) with cakes and have a chat about their plans. You may then find out how long it will last.
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 13th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    Thank you all for your replies - I am going to ring the council tomorrow just for a chat, I am not making a formal complaint, I just want to clarify what is allowed when.

I have been keeping a note of the noise for the last 14 days, 12 of which we have had either early morning or late night DIY noise - we have talked to them on many occassions - my boys always tell me that I am too nice to them, but I don't want it to get confrontational. I have told them in the past when we have been going to be out all day or weekend so that they can continue while we are out - they are the end of terrace so have no one on the other side of them.
    Fibro-Warrior
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 41,441 Thanks
    elsien
    I don't think the council will be any use with noise such as scraping wallpaper. While appreciating just how annoying it is (I've had cause to talk to my neighbour about exactly the same thing) it's never going to register sufficiently on any recording equipment for them to do anything about it.

I think 11pm is too late, personally - it was 10pm when I went round to ask them to finish for the day.
    Have you tried asking the woman why he can't do it earlier of an evening? Otherwise, try some earplugs or shifting to another room as a temporary measure. You could argue you shouldn't have to, but they can't be DIYing forever so the sooner they can get it done the better.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 13th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    I always thought it was up to 11 and from 8.30am the next day. To be honest when I worked nights next door mowed in the day and it disturbed me but there!!!8217;s nothing I could do. People who work full time in the day have to do it sometime
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th May 18, 1:58 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 6,644 Thanks
    ska lover
    I think 11pm is far too late imo - I think your neighbour is being unreasonable to carry on so late.

I am up at 6am and my husband around 4am there is no way i would be putting up with this nonsense, your neighbour will have to organise himself and realise he isnt the centre of the universe, yes he may work, but so do other pple
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th May 18, 3:53 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Let me give the story from the other side, as this was me nearly 30 years ago.

I had bought a 1930's semi, completely neglected for probably the last 30 years in a terrible state, most buyers today would not even have moved into it and deemed it uninhabitable.

Anyway it was the location that sold it, and I had to bring it up to standard on a shoe string budged which meant do it all myself. so I could only work after work and at weekends, and it would take a long time.

I had some really noisy work to do, I had a wall to knock down. So I went and had a chat with the neighbours. What I asked them, was would they inform me when they were going out, so that I could do the noisy work while they were out. The guy exploded going off into a rant "I shouldn't have to go out to get away from your noise". I tried to explain I was not asking him to go out especially , but when he did go out to let me know so I could do the heavy work.

I got nowhere with this. So I just dd the work to suit me and never spoke to the neighbours.

My point is they HAVE to do the work. So if, unlike my neighbour, you can agree times to do the work, it will be better for both of you. If, like my neighbour, you refuse to even discuss it, then expect them to carry on at all hours.

Remember any time you get them to stop, only DELAYS the work being done.
    Originally posted by ProDave

I don't see a need for a chat for a person to know that using power tool or making noise after 22.00 at night or before 7 am is not on. I don't even use the mower until after 10-11 am at weekends.

That said I have had the odd neighbour who thinks he can treat me and my family like mugs. They got the message after he or she came home after a night shift. Or I decide to have a nice BBQ until the early hours.....with the music on. Them people sure learn fast!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 25,059 Posts
    • 92,622 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Them people sure learn fast!
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    I don't think many of us would argue that working on a party wall or using power tools after 10pm or before 7am is reasonable behaviour.

What's more questionable, is whether it is advisable to get into confrontation with such an unreasonable neighbour, or pursue them formally via the council EHO, or privately through the courts, when a move is soon on the cards.

In other words, "Them people" could stuff things up, 12 months down the line.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 14-05-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Lornapink
    • By Lornapink 14th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    Lornapink
    I'm one for going for the jugular and in your position I would make noise in the middle of the night to wake them. OK you will be tired but I think this would have the desired effect.
    Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,999Posts Today

6,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin