Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chelseachamps
    • By Chelseachamps 12th May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chelseachamps
    Unreasonable parking tickets.
    • 12th May 18, 11:48 PM
    Unreasonable parking tickets. 12th May 18 at 11:48 PM
    First I just want to say, yes I have read as much info about other people in my position, read through the FAQ's and understand my position is not unique! That being said, i hope someone can advise me on my situation and what i should do next.

The incident-
    I received 4 parking tickets for parking in a private business estate manged by UK car park management LTD. However, my friend is the lease holder for the building i was parked outside and ticketed, and had provided me with permission to park there (their lease contract stipulates that clients, staff, or friends helping out are entitled to use the car park). I stated this on both my appeals to UKCPM and the independent appeals process to no avail. Since having my appeals turned down I have since decided to ignore the corresponding demands from both UKCPM and DRP. Unfortunately, i have now started to receive letters from Gladstones solicitors saying all the things described in other threads, which lead me do start panic researching, which inevitably lead me to Money Saving Expert!

I hope someone can advise me on what to do before it actually escalates to me being taken to court. My friend, the lease holder has told me they are willing to support me in this process if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help given! Jamie.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th May 18, 11:52 PM
    • 35,602 Posts
    • 19,818 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th May 18, 11:52 PM
    • 12th May 18, 11:52 PM
    #4 in the newbies faq thread advises what to do about debt collectors!

No-one can advise how to stop a "creditor" pursuing the "debtor" to court!

The only sure way would be to pay - (not a recommendation)
    • Chelseachamps
    • By Chelseachamps 13th May 18, 12:19 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chelseachamps
    • 13th May 18, 12:19 AM
    • 13th May 18, 12:19 AM
    Do you mean this #4 in the Newbie thread?

Q -''Where else can I go for free advice, how about Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)?''

A - THE CAB (SADLY) INVARIABLY GIVE TERRIBLE ADVICE ABOUT THESE CHARGES (HAVE EVEN DONE SO OFFICIALLY ON THIS FORUM), SO AVOID! A VERY GOOD FREE RESOURCE IS THE CHARITY CALLED THE 'BRITISH MOTORISTS' PROTECTION ASSOCIATION' (BMPA). YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY FOR THIS ADVICE.

Sorry for my ignorance, but This is my first time on this website and im unsure how to fully navigate it!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th May 18, 12:27 AM
    • 57,472 Posts
    • 71,054 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th May 18, 12:27 AM
    • 13th May 18, 12:27 AM
    No, the main message in post #4 of the NEWBIES thread is obviously, ignore debt collectors...

If Gladstones send a LBC with reply forms, then refer to post #2 of the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 14th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 14th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:43 PM
    My recommendation is a little different.

I'd write to Gladstones, copy to the PPC, to say this:

1. I have told you/your client [delete as appropriate] since as early as [date of first letter/appeal] that I had permission to park in the car park at x, given to me by the leaseholder.

2. I enclose a copy of a letter from the leaseholder confirming this.

3. It is quite clear that the parking charge notice was wrongly given. It should have been withdrawn immediately your client/you were notified that the car was parked with the relevant permission.

4. Since there is no valid claim against me, please [instruct your client to] cease processing my data and cease writing to me, either directly or via agents or solicitors. The constant demands to pay money I do not owe are nothing other than harassment of me pursuant to the Protection from Harassment Act.

5. Should your client choose to issue a claim then it will be defended and I will seek full costs for your client's unreasonable behaviour in pursuing a claim which it should/must know is baseless.

6. I fully reserve all my rights under the Protection from Harassment Act and the Data Protection Act.

Yours faithfully

Then just send the same letter every time they write to you. If they send a formal LBC you might want to be a little more mischievous and ask them a load of questions (eg produce their contract with the landowner, map of signage, photos of the car, etc)

Does the leaseholder own the car park, or do they have rights in relation to it (you say they have rights - where do these rights come from? Is there a written document, eg is it in their lease? You may need to demonstrate that they have the right to let people park there and the terms of such parking).
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin