Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lewey005
    • By Lewey005 12th May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lewey005
    PCP help!!!
    • 12th May 18, 11:25 PM
    PCP help!!! 12th May 18 at 11:25 PM
    I bought a new Mercedes C class 3 years ago on PCP, I laid down a large deposit to bring my monthly payments down and I had already made the decision to buy the car at the end of the contract. During that period the car went to the garage around 8 times with various software issues including holding the car for 3 weeks, I contacted Mercedes and they refunded 2 months of payments, every time Mercedes corrected the problem without much fuss. After the 3 years ended, against my better judgement I bought the car outright! Iíve probably been a total idiot for thinking the cars troubles were behind it but I didnít want to throw away my hefty deposit.

Two months after I bought the car it broke down during a drive, overheating and throwing engine coolant all over the road. The car was towed back 80 miles to my nearest garage and Ďfixedí within a week. Mercedes took the hire car they had provided and off I drove, 7 miles later the car overheated and did the same thing after a £200 bill! I took the car back to Mercedes, a week later (and no replacement car) I got the car back. 3 miles from the garage...you guessed it, overheats, water all over the road.

Iím two months over my 3 year PCP warranty (they wanted £600 to extend it). Is this just one of lifeís lessons or do I have any rights at all? The history of the car is ridiculous; 10 garage visits in 3 years, full service history with Mercedes (including the last one, cost me £1k 2 months prior to breakdown). I donít want to sell the car to anyone as I wouldnít be able to lay this at someone elseís door! Help!
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th May 18, 1:32 AM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th May 18, 1:32 AM
    • 13th May 18, 1:32 AM
    What do you want us to say? You own the car so your choices are to get it repaired by the garage who didn't do it properly or chase them for a refund, take it to another to get it repaired or sell it as it is.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 13th May 18, 7:13 AM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 13th May 18, 7:13 AM
    • 13th May 18, 7:13 AM
    Sounds like it might be worth spending the money on an extended warranty. Either that or change it for another one.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:15 AM
    With the issues you have had I would approach Mercedes for a goodwill gesture, was the most recent repair done at a Mercedes dealer?
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th May 18, 8:16 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 6,212 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th May 18, 8:16 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:16 AM
    We have just experienced how bad MB. They won't care.

Its out of warranty, you are now a potential income stream.

The best satisfaction is simply to sell the car and avoid MB so they don't gouge you for £1,000 for a service again.

BTW, Audi are no better so don't believe the German 'quality' lies.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 13th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 13th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:57 AM
    I think that's just modern cars for you. I was planning on keeping my Mazda past the end of my PCP but it recently threw a fault that has me a bit spooked - it was covered under warranty this time but it won't be next time and I suspect it will reoccur in the future. Now I'm looking to change the car.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:29 AM
    I bought a new Mercedes C class 3 years ago on PCP, I laid down a large deposit to bring my monthly payments down and I had already made the decision to buy the car at the end of the contract. During that period the car went to the garage around 8 times with various software issues including holding the car for 3 weeks, I contacted Mercedes and they refunded 2 months of payments, every time Mercedes corrected the problem without much fuss. After the 3 years ended, against my better judgement I bought the car outright! Iíve probably been a total idiot for thinking the cars troubles were behind it but I didnít want to throw away my hefty deposit.

Two months after I bought the car it broke down during a drive, overheating and throwing engine coolant all over the road. The car was towed back 80 miles to my nearest garage and Ďfixedí within a week. Mercedes took the hire car they had provided and off I drove, 7 miles later the car overheated and did the same thing after a £200 bill! I took the car back to Mercedes, a week later (and no replacement car) I got the car back. 3 miles from the garage...you guessed it, overheats, water all over the road.

Iím two months over my 3 year PCP warranty (they wanted £600 to extend it). Is this just one of lifeís lessons or do I have any rights at all? The history of the car is ridiculous; 10 garage visits in 3 years, full service history with Mercedes (including the last one, cost me £1k 2 months prior to breakdown). I donít want to sell the car to anyone as I wouldnít be able to lay this at someone elseís door! Help!
    Originally posted by Lewey005
    Its not a PCP warranty - its a manufacturers warranty on the car - and your issues are not related to your PCP deal.

New cars are complex. Personally i'd have extended the warranty.

When you say "nearest garage" - you mean Mercedes dealer?

Also, what was the cause of the issue?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 7,534 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    almillar
    • 14th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 14th May 18, 1:57 PM
    but I didn!!!8217;t want to throw away my hefty deposit.
    You threw it away 3 years ago. It would have saved you some interest, but it's gone whether you buy the car or not.
    The history of the car is ridiculous; 10 garage visits in 3 years, full service history with Mercedes (including the last one, cost me £1k 2 months prior to breakdown).
    Doesn't sound like it is of reasonable quality, or has lasted a reasonable time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,208Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin