Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 3,071Posts
    • 502Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Can you keep replaced iOS app files these days?
    • 12th May 18, 11:11 PM
    Can you keep replaced iOS app files these days? 12th May 18 at 11:11 PM
    Currently have iTunes version 12.6.2.20 installed on a Windows 7 PC. I did update it some time ago but i found the iTunes at the time (forget the version) to be terrible. I don't know whether it still offered what i wanted but through a different way than i'm used to or whether it had been scrapped but it certainly seemed to me that Apple were forcing you to update apps over the air.

What i like to do is update apps through iTunes on my PC. I do this in case the new app update is one i don't like. When i update the app through iTunes it'll throw the old version into the Recycle Bin (which i'll pull out). I can then use this if i need/want to revert back to the old version.

With the new version of iTunes i tried at the time i seem to remember it either didn't put anything in the Recycle Bin or i couldn't update through iTunes at all .... that's why i've stayed on version 12.6.2.20 (because it allows you to update and to keep the old version app file).

My wife is looking at updating her iPhone 6S from 10.3.1 to 11.3.1 but iTunes says it needs to update to the newest version in order to do that ....... problem then as i don't think i'll be able to keep old app file versions.

Is there a way (with the latest iTunes) to keep the old version in file format (without jailbreaking) and if needs be to replace the newer app file with the older version?

Hopefully i've explained that well enough.

Page 1
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 13th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    20aday
    • 13th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:12 AM
    Good morning.

It sounds as if you need to download the Enterprise version of iTunes:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

This allows for you to install apps direct to iPhone when you've plugged in the USB cable.

If you do go ahead with the installation once your wife has backed up her iPhone to the computer she'd then be able to download the latest version of iOS O.T.A and has something to recover her phone if there's a problem with the installation.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 13th May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:27 AM
    That's the thing - will updating apps with that put the old version in the recycle bin (or anywhere on the PC really so that i can physically get the old app file)?

She could update her iOS OTA right now but we don't then want to have to run the latest version of iTunes and be stuck regards updating apps.

• 20aday
    • By 20aday 14th May 18, 6:59 AM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    20aday
    • 14th May 18, 6:59 AM
    • 14th May 18, 6:59 AM
    I will try it out for you and see what happens; I usemacOS but assume the version I!!!8217;ve linked to above will do the same (move files to the recycling bin) regardless of operating system used.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,608Users online

Martin's Twitter