Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggieaggie1
    • By maggieaggie1 12th May 18, 11:10 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    maggieaggie1
    Improvement notice
    • 12th May 18, 11:10 PM
    Improvement notice 12th May 18 at 11:10 PM
    I bought the flat in not good condition. After purchased i find out there was issue improvement notice from local authority on this flat. I made a good refurbishment but not all what was listed in their notice as its costly for me.
    They want me to change windows for example but all block of this flats don't have double glazed windows and this was a condition on this improvement notice.Why i have to change this windows and my other neighbors in this block would live just like that?
    I decided i will be selling this flat, but this improvement notice probably will be minus point for potential buyer. What shall I do?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th May 18, 11:16 PM
    • 44,748 Posts
    • 53,260 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th May 18, 11:16 PM
    • 12th May 18, 11:16 PM
    Did the previous owner let the flat out to tenants?
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 13th May 18, 12:22 AM
    • 2,718 Posts
    • 2,397 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 13th May 18, 12:22 AM
    • 13th May 18, 12:22 AM
    Was the existence of the notice not brought to your attention before you bought the property? If not I would have a serious talk to your solicitor.

Also, check your lease, as it may be that you are not actually allowed to do some of the work under the lease (such as replace the windows). If this is the case, contact the Local Authority and ask them how you should proceed if complying with the notice would put you in breach of your lease.
    • maggieaggie1
    • By maggieaggie1 14th May 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maggieaggie1
    • 14th May 18, 3:09 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:09 PM
    It was bank who hold this property and they applied to council for improvement notice to not to pay council tax. Any way that's not the issue now. Can I ask them to revoke this improvement notice without changing the Windows ( I just want to sell it) . Where shall I got for the legal advice about this and what is the procedure.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 8,328 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:12 PM
    ( I just want to sell it) . Where shall I got for the legal advice about this
    Originally posted by maggieaggie1
    I would suggest the solicitors who you're going to use for the sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

6,986Users online

Martin's Twitter