Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Davina Hart
    • By Davina Hart 12th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Davina Hart
    New built house | Steps to get to front door | Not told abou this
    • 12th May 18, 10:48 PM
    New built house | Steps to get to front door | Not told abou this 12th May 18 at 10:48 PM
    Looking for a bit of advise to see if we can get some compensation from builder.

We reserved a three bed house with the builder in March. We have exchanged last week, and recently we have been to the site to the see the progress and there we noticed the house was on a height which gave us the impression that there will be a few steps to get to the front door.

We then went to sales office to find out. The sales person apologised for her error and said she forgot to mention this at the time of reservation. She said there will be three steps to the front of the house and two from rear garden entrance.

Shall we take this further with the builder head office? We like the house but donít really want the steps and there is no way they can avoid the steps due to slight down slope on the road. Had we known about the steps we wouldnít have reserved the plot.

No other plots have the steps but they are different house type. Our one has steps due to its corner position.

What shall we do?

Many thanks,
Page 2
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 16,153 Posts
    • 44,477 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Building regs require new property to be wheelchair accessible, so it won't meet those if there isn't another viable access at the rear.

The OP hasn't said whether there is or isn't, although the question was raised in Post 6.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Out of interest:
    - when did these regulations come in?
    - do they apply across the whole country (or just England)?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 63,207 Posts
    • 370,181 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....surely few houses have a ground floor that is exactly level with the ground outside? Wouldn't that be a risk of flooding during heavy rain?...
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Mine has this... an almost unnoticeable slope up as you approach, then a level threshold. The slope is built up over about a 3m approach, so until you look/notice it, you don't notice/see it! Mine is fully wheelchair accessible, with a flat threshold ... the house/floor level isn't lower, it's just an unnoticeable sloped approach. Therefore, during heavy rain, it wouldn't matter at all as the land slopes away from the door/threshold.

Mine was built 2009/2010 or so. A regular 2-up-2-down terrace.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,346Posts Today

8,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin