Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 12th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 23Thanks
    krazyhorse
    penalty for untaxed vehicle - wrong address stated on letter
    • 12th May 18, 10:25 PM
    penalty for untaxed vehicle - wrong address stated on letter 12th May 18 at 10:25 PM
    Hi Guys

I know its a long shot - but I got a fine for parking my car outside my house, untaxed. Caught red handed I know.

However, the letter that arrived states that my car was being kept on XYZ ROAD while being on SORN. However, I don't live on XYZ road.

Is this strong enough for me to appeal?

Thanks
Page 1
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 12th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 12th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 12th May 18, 10:34 PM
    No.

First of all you have nothing to appeal against as you have not been convicted of anything. If you mean should you deny the allegation by pleading Not Guilty in court the matter of where it was actually seen will be clarified and you will be convicted. There are no "Get Out of Jail Free" cards for minor inconsistencies such as this. All the prosecution has to show is that your car was seen on a public road and they will be easily able to do so provided it was.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 19,310 Posts
    • 13,520 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 12th May 18, 10:37 PM
    Your call if you want to refuse the out of court settlement you are being offered but it may be pursued under criminal law in the magistrates court with up a 2500 fine !
    Last edited by molerat; 12-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 12th May 18, 11:56 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    • 12th May 18, 11:56 PM
    • 12th May 18, 11:56 PM
    Not worth it then - oh well!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th May 18, 1:29 AM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th May 18, 1:29 AM
    • 13th May 18, 1:29 AM
    The address they put is where they saw your untaxed car on the road. If you were using it that could have been when you were out driving around or had parked it whilst going somewhere. And that is why it not being the address where you live is irrelevant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,659Users online

Martin's Twitter