Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamels2
    • By jamels2 12th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 303Posts
    • 45Thanks
    jamels2
    Glasses without prescription
    • 12th May 18, 9:54 PM
    Glasses without prescription 12th May 18 at 9:54 PM
    I am able to order contact lenses without proof of prescription from vision direct and wondered if I can get glasses from their sister site glasses direct without a prescription?
    Reason being I am trying reduced lens therapy so try to improve my eyesight and don't want full prescription glasses
    My prescription is -2.00 and -2.25 but I want -1.00 and -1.25 instead.
    Has anyone ordered from glasses direct and did they insist on proof?
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 14,415 Posts
    • 19,324 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 12th May 18, 10:01 PM
    You can order what you want.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th May 18, 3:24 AM
    • 8,705 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 14th May 18, 3:24 AM
    • 14th May 18, 3:24 AM
    I personally believe you are foolish to try and do either with your sight. I hope you don't drive.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 7,731 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 14th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 14th May 18, 10:32 AM
    I hope you don't drive.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Indeed, and if you do drive without your correct prescription glasses/lenses I believe you would be breaking the law, as well as putting yourself and others in danger.
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 16th May 18, 5:09 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • 16th May 18, 5:09 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:09 PM
    Current opinion in the UK suggests that wearing reduced prescripton won't stop your eye detiorating.

You could ask whoever tested your eyes for a reduced prescription I am sure that 95%+ of optometrists wouldn't as their is evidene that reduced presctiptions actually accelate myopia in younger patients.

If would be illegal for an online company to supply anything except the prescription as stated - dosen't mean they won't.( It is the same with c/lenses! )

It is not against the law to drive with a reduced prescription as long as you can read the no plate just very stupid. ( you probably wont be able to read no plate with 1D undercorrection )

reduced prescriptons are often asked for and used in the far East - They have signifcantly higher levels of myopia than we do.
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 16th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • 16th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:14 PM
    If you think about it logically it makes no sense.

Commonly someone comes in and they are stuggling to see in distance you find say -0.75. So the px has been wearing an 'undercorrection' of +0.75 and it has got worse.

You see them 1 year later they feel it has got worse. You find -1.50 so again the px has been wearing an undercorrection of +0.75 and it has made it worse.

Generally speaking myopia starts either 8-12 or late teens / early twenties then worsens for a few years before levelling off.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th May 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6,561 Posts
    • 11,834 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 16th May 18, 6:22 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:22 PM
    Dear sweet Jesus, you'd be as well just chucking your glasses in the bin and waking about with nothing on your face
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 16th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 16th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:13 PM
    Undercorrection does not seem to work for myopia or memory.. the op posted a simular question in December.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,751Users online

Martin's Twitter