Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C-mitchell
    • By C-mitchell 12th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    C-mitchell
    Buy to let second property on with first house on help to buy?
    • 12th May 18, 8:37 PM
    Buy to let second property on with first house on help to buy? 12th May 18 at 8:37 PM
    Hi,

I hope you can help!
    My girlfriend and I have just purchased a new flat in Greenwich using the help to buy scheme.
    I am considering the best way for us to pay back our help to buy equity loan. I wondered whether it was possible or legal to get a buy to let mortgage on another property or properties (if it became possible for us to do so) in order to help us pay back the equity loan?

hope that makes sense. Thank you in advance!
Page 1
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 12th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 7,398 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 12th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:38 PM
    Do you have other properties with sufficient equity to do this?
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 12th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 12th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:44 PM
    One of the FAQ's on the Help to Buy website covers this.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/equity-loan/faq/#860d20ea-e1f7-648f-8ce9-ff0000ad17aa
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 12th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 9,877 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 12th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:05 PM
    In order to get a BTL property you normally need a 20 or even 25 percent deposit.
    In London this mean a big deposit.
    If you had that sort of money I guess you would have bought your flat with a normal mortgage and not help to buy.
    • C-mitchell
    • By C-mitchell 13th May 18, 12:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    C-mitchell
    • 13th May 18, 12:15 AM
    • 13th May 18, 12:15 AM
    Thank you all for your time and responses. I was just curious to know if it were possible and could definitely not afford to buy where we live without the Equity loan but in the future it is something I!!!8217;d like to pursue outside London. I wondered whether it would be worth looking into and if I could do that to help pay it off. Seems not but thank you for your time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

6,440Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin