Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Eilis
    • By Eilis 12th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 13Thanks
    is this to risky?
    • #1
    • 12th May 18, 7:51 PM
    is this to risky? 12th May 18 at 7:51 PM
    I want to buy my own home. I have a large deposit . I wold like to buy a house and leave this to my children if anything happens to me.
    I could purchase a house with my partner but I would be paying the deposit etc and thus would want to be tenants in common where I own a bigger percentage of the property. This is to protect my investment.

    However, my partner got me thinking when he suggested that we purchase a house together (as with both salaries we can buy a house) he is happy to sign a declaration to say that though his name is on the mortgage he does not own any percentage of the property and will not claim it if we break up or I die. (The reason for this, as insane as it may sound, I know of friends whose children lost out when there step father entered into another relationship and his new wife got everything, basically I do not want a hussy getting my house!)
    Can this be done? and ow secure is it?

    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 18,529 Posts
    • 10,183 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • #2
    • 12th May 18, 9:08 PM
    Have you spoken to a solicitor?

    What happens if when you die your husband is say 75? He could be around for another 20 years.
    Is he going to want to move home?
    Is he going to be able to move home?

    I understand you wanting to look after your kids, my little girl comes before anything or anyone but you are starting a life with your partner and it is not fair for them to be out of house and home when you pass away (assuming you pass first).

    You need to speak to a solicitor, but you all need to have a pretty open and frank conversation.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Eilis
    • By Eilis 13th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • #3
    • 13th May 18, 9:37 AM
    Hi ACG

    All I want is for the house to be left for my children. My partner would not be made homeless. I had not thought about him wanting to move home in years to come. We are very open about this, he insists I do all i can to make sure the children are sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,205Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh!

  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i?

  • Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of?

  • Follow Martin