Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Edtough
    • By Edtough 12th May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Edtough
    Does having many bookmaker accounts hurt your credit rating for mortgages?
    • 12th May 18, 7:36 PM
    Does having many bookmaker accounts hurt your credit rating for mortgages? 12th May 18 at 7:36 PM
    Years ago I made a few hundred quid by taking advantage of online bookies and their free introductory offers, until I had exhausted them all.

10 years on I'm considering doing the same again , but it's occurred to me that all those bookmaker accounts on my record may be frowned upon by lenders? I would never gamble in the normal sense of the word, but the free offers are too good to turn down if you are self disciplined. I currently have an excellent credit rating so wouldn't want to jeopardise it.

Is the mere existence of numerous bookie accounts a red flag to lenders?
Page 1
    • sheepy21
    • By sheepy21 12th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    sheepy21
    • 12th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:25 PM
    Gambling activity is never going to look good, and certainly wouldn't do it when trying to get a mortgage. I'm interested in trying matched betting, but holding off until our house purchase is through
    • fedslam
    • By fedslam 13th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    fedslam
    • 13th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:30 AM
    Open an account with a prepaid debit card and do matched betting through that. It doesn't show up on credit file.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 33,853 Posts
    • 18,385 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 13th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:03 AM
    Accounts with bookmakers? How would a lender know about them?

The only issue would be opening new accounts if a credit search (not ID) is carried out during the opening process.

Frankly they won't care if you have twenty accounts, but they will be interested in the amount you gamble each month and some will be nervous, while others will treat it as a hobby as long as including your monthly spend the mortgage remains affordable.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Edtough
    • By Edtough 13th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Edtough
    • 13th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:11 AM
    Great info. Thanks guys.
    • Edtough
    • By Edtough 13th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Edtough
    • 13th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 13th May 18, 11:37 AM
    Certainly makes sense.

I think a flea was put in my ear by someone regarding this subject, but now you mention it I guess the lender would only know of the "online gambling" by payments made from bank accounts into these online bookies, and NOT the existence of the bookmaker accounts.

I would make a one off deposit only into these bookie accounts for match betting, and then only ever withdraw from the bookie accounts. I'm not planning on remortgaging for a good 18 months, so no "gambling activity" in the form of funding bookie accounts would be present when bank accounts are scrutinised.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin