Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • merc_fintail
    • By merc_fintail 12th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 5Thanks
    merc_fintail
    Investment HMO or apartment?
    • 12th May 18, 6:52 PM
    Investment HMO or apartment? 12th May 18 at 6:52 PM
    My wife wants to buy an apartment to rent out and have as a future asset / investment. We are in North Manchester and prices are not great. 130k will get a two bed with rental income of around 650 pm, there is the service charge for us to pay out of that.

I am thinking down the line of a multi occupancy house myself. For example, there is a double fronted end terrace near the metrolink for 140k that can be easily turned into a great four bed HMO with en-suite in each room and shared kitchen. We would be looking at around 110pw for each room, less council tax and bills.

The return would easy be three times more than renting out an apartment. Am I missing something here? Is it a supply and demand thing or too much hassle to do a HMO or what?

Im a kitchen fitter by trade, so can do all the works needed for conversion myself.

Thanks Paul
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 12th May 18, 7:11 PM
    I would suggest that you have a look at the rules on HMOs. For a start with an HMO the landlord pays the council tax. You have to get planning permission, then you may have to get a license depending on if you council has a licensing policy for HMOs. A lot of them do. There are a lot of rules on what has to be inside and HMO is terms of of safety features.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 5,720 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 12th May 18, 7:16 PM
    Manchester has Article 4 direction in place which means planning permission is required to convert from c3 to c4 (HMO) use ...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500207/planning_and_regeneration/4847/article_4_direction_changing_the_use_of_your_prope rty/1

Certain areas have selective licensing ...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/10084/private_landlords_information/7399/selective_licensing_renting_out_houses_in_designat ed_areas/5

But yes if you can get the necessary permissions, meet the standards and put up with the hassle the return should be significantly higher.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:06 PM
    The other thing I will say about Manchester is that if a 2 bed flat is in an area where there are a lot of 2 bed terraced houses that are cheaper to rent you are going to have a problem letting it. In theory it could let for 650pm but in practice that might only be for 6 months in each year because of the competition.
    • merc_fintail
    • By merc_fintail 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    merc_fintail
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    The other thing I will say about Manchester is that if a 2 bed flat is in an area where there are a lot of 2 bed terraced houses that are cheaper to rent you are going to have a problem letting it. In theory it could let for 650pm but in practice that might only be for 6 months in each year because of the competition.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Agree, the house im looking at is a three bed large terraced. So I think it may be worth the gamble buying it and renting it as a house while trying to get planning as a HMO.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 12th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 9,878 Posts
    • 5,313 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 12th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:32 PM
    You may think it's worth the gamble but most lenders might not want to take that RISK.
    You have the 25/35 percent deposit and money for surveys, legals, searches and mortgage fee (2 percent )
    Then you need what 15/20,000 to bring the property up to HMO standards.
    You talk about en-suite bathrooms, complete rewiring to modern standards, mains wired smoke alarms etc.
    Now I am sure I will get flamed by lots of Armchair "HMO landlords " who will say this is not required but if you want to Rent out all the rooms you need to provide the Right kind of property furnished to a good standard with plenty of plug sockets, good security, modern kitchen/s and bathrooms.
    If you are paying the bills then the most energy efficient lighting and appliances. Modern gas central heating and you need to be available 24/7 to respond to any problems.
    Piece of cake really.
    P.S. I would not buy a flat but maybe a modern 2/3 bed house
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:53 PM
    Agree, the house im looking at is a three bed large terraced. So I think it may be worth the gamble buying it and renting it as a house while trying to get planning as a HMO.
    Originally posted by merc_fintail
    You might need to add insulation too because it has to have an EPC of at least E now to be let.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

942Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin