Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsNibbles
    • By MrsNibbles 12th May 18, 6:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 9Thanks
    MrsNibbles
    Finding own cover when off sick
    • 12th May 18, 6:27 PM
    Finding own cover when off sick 12th May 18 at 6:27 PM
    Hi,
    I've just started work ina day nursery and I've just found out that if we're off sick we're expected to phone down the contact list and find someone to cover us. Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm too sick to work then I'm too sick to phone around people, and surely thats the job of the manager??
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 12th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5,869 Posts
    • 6,814 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 12th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 12th May 18, 7:29 PM
    Hi,
    I've just started work ina day nursery and I've just found out that if we're off sick we're expected to phone down the contact list and find someone to cover us. Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm too sick to work then I'm too sick to phone around people, and surely thats the job of the manager??
    Originally posted by MrsNibbles
    Yes- But are you really going to kick up about it at the start of your new job?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • MrsNibbles
    • By MrsNibbles 12th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MrsNibbles
    • 12th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12th May 18, 7:48 PM
    Well, I may as I'm not enjoying the job so I'll be leaving at some point anyway, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't normal practice. I've been self employed for several years and was a teacher before that so I've been out of 'normal' employment for a while!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 39,023 Posts
    • 35,906 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:20 PM
    I'd suggest that if you ARE too sick to be phoning around, then you speak to your manager and explain that.

We don't work like that as an employer, but we do suggest our volunteers make some calls to arrange swaps, if they can. If they're too ill to do it, we obviously don't require them to do so!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Les79
    • By Les79 12th May 18, 9:22 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    Les79
    • 12th May 18, 9:22 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:22 PM
    Hi,
    May I just kindly point out that often, for reporting sickness, you'll be expected to PHONE the employer!! So 9/10 times you won't be too sick to use a phone

That being said, the cover issue seems a bit odd. But I actually like it; empowers employees to take some personal responsibility for the welfare of the children and ensure that, when sick, sufficient cover is sourced!
    • MrsNibbles
    • By MrsNibbles 12th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MrsNibbles
    • 12th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:38 PM
    I didn't say I'd be too sick to use the phone per se, but I shouldn't have to phone about a dozen other people in the hopes that one of them will a) not already be working the same shift as me and b) be willing to go in.
    And what if no one agrees to cover my shift? I have to go in while sick??
    And actually what it says to me is that the employer has no trust in their staff or any respect for them. If you treat your staff properly they won't want to take sickies as they'll respect you and the job too.
    Being genuinely sick has nothing to do with how much you care about the welfare of the children.
    I don't mind finding cover if I want a day off at short notice but if I'm running between the phone and the toilet, or I've lost my voice (my two main reasons for the rate times I'm off) then it's just ridiculous.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 13th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    74jax
    • 13th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:57 AM
    I didn't say I'd be too sick to use the phone per se, but I shouldn't have to phone about a dozen other people in the hopes that one of them will a) not already be working the same shift as me and b) be willing to go in.
    And what if no one agrees to cover my shift? I have to go in while sick??
    And actually what it says to me is that the employer has no trust in their staff or any respect for them. If you treat your staff properly they won't want to take sickies as they'll respect you and the job too.
    Being genuinely sick has nothing to do with how much you care about the welfare of the children.
    I don't mind finding cover if I want a day off at short notice but if I'm running between the phone and the toilet, or I've lost my voice (my two main reasons for the rate times I'm off) then it's just ridiculous.
    You have just started there, so can't see you being sick so soon.

You want to leave, so it won't be an issue.

It really isn't a problem..
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 13th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 13th May 18, 7:06 PM
    Never heard of such rubbish.

You may be inclined to phone down a list but you are under no obligation to have to find someone. If you don't............then what.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 14-05-2018 at 3:40 AM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 13th May 18, 8:02 PM
    Utterly ridiculous way of working. Getting cover in for sick staff is a role which should be undertaken by managers, not by sick staff.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 13th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 10,067 Posts
    • 8,287 Thanks
    prowla
    What a rubbish employer!
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 13th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt

You may be inclined to phone a down a list but you are under no obligation to have to find someone. If you don't............then what.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Yep they are bluffing.

I remember when someone called up when it was snowing to arrange to take the day as available holiday to be told everyone else had made it in and roads were clear, come return to the office turns out half the floor had not attended that very same day (and not just the teleseller expected to make calls to the worst hit areas at that time which would have been quite insensitive) - hence employer was out and out bluffing, never mind anything else.

...Didn't this nonsense go on for self employed drivers, having to get cover for their routes, never saw it in practise but I could have worked at depots when there were more guys employed and better management.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 43,157 Thanks
    elsien
    That being said, the cover issue seems a bit odd. But I actually like it; empowers employees to take some personal responsibility for the welfare of the children and ensure that, when sick, sufficient cover is sourced!
    Originally posted by Les79
    There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell. And when sick, it's up to the manager/employer to ensure sufficient cover is sourced, that's one of the reasons they're on a higher salary.
    And if the person can't get cover, then they absolutely would not have to drag themselves in regardless.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    Les79
    There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Well, I'll explain a bit more.

OP has come on here in good health, with little intention to remain in the job (they appear to be going back to teaching in Sept) and they have questioned a sickness policy they *probably won't* use. I sort of get the impression that OP is either the AI dilemma bot, or that they are a piker of sorts; someone who takes questionable sick days effectively because the job is rubbish. Normally I wouldn't mind, and would be on their side, but not when it impacts on children.

Hence why I feel that this has the potential to empower people to take personal responsibility for the welfare of the children they are scheduled to mind.

And when sick, it's up to the manager/employer to ensure sufficient cover is sourced, that's one of the reasons they're on a higher salary.
    I agree 100% and, despite me saying the above, I would ultimately prefer OP's employer to be set up in they way you discuss

And if the person can't get cover, then they absolutely would not have to drag themselves in regardless.
    I agree with that too.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 14,138 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    What happens if you are unable to ring in sick from something like laryngitis to having an emergency operation for a burst appendix?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 14th May 18, 11:05 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    comeandgo
    To phone all the other staff you would need their private phone numbers, that I find weird, I would not like my private phone number being given to all other employees.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    You have just started there, so can't see you being sick so soon.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    How does that work? Do viruses and bacteria or anything else that causes illness know when you've just changed jobs and leave you alone?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Its not fair on the staff being called on their day off either, they're more likely to feel guilty for saying no and end up going in even if they don't want to/have other plans etc.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 14th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Teachers are expected to set cover when sick. Normally I send an email off to the team in the morning when sick explaining what I want the students to do etc.

When are you really too sick to make a couple of phonecalls and/or emails?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 17,123 Posts
    • 43,157 Thanks
    elsien
    Teachers are expected to set cover when sick. Normally I send an email off to the team in the morning when sick explaining what I want the students to do etc.

When are you really too sick to make a couple of phonecalls and/or emails?
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    When you're flat on your back with flu and can't stand up without falling over.
    Or you've got a stomach lurgy and it's flowing out of both ends at once.
    Or you have a migraine and can't stand any noise or light.
    Just for starters, I'm sure there are many others.

Either way, if you're off sick then by definition you're not working. Not even to do the odd email or phone call.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 14th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10,067 Posts
    • 8,287 Thanks
    prowla
    To phone all the other staff you would need their private phone numbers, that I find weird, I would not like my private phone number being given to all other employees.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    Correct - it may even breach GDPR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,181Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin