Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anyhols
    • By anyhols 12th May 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anyhols
    Cancel Caravan Finance
    • 12th May 18, 3:41 PM
    Cancel Caravan Finance 12th May 18 at 3:41 PM
    Purchased a caravan on the understanding would fit on a particular plot,put a large deposit down of 10,200 on the 27th April 2018. To be now told wont fit on the plot and they have offered me another plot that isnt suitable for what i wanted.The remainder is on finance. Can this be cancelled or do you only have so long to cancel it ?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 18,562 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:05 PM
    Who arranged the finance ? If it was all part of the sale and the item is not as described you should insist on a refund and unwinding of the finance. You need to read the contract of sale carefully to find your options in this scenario.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 15,590 Posts
    • 22,232 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:29 PM
    Purchased a caravan on the understanding would fit on a particular plot,put a large deposit down of 10,200 on the 27th April 2018. To be now told wont fit on the plot and they have offered me another plot that isnt suitable for what i wanted.The remainder is on finance. Can this be cancelled or do you only have so long to cancel it ?
    Originally posted by anyhols
    If you cancel the finance, how are you going to pay for the caravan?

You need to persuade the seller to cancel the sale. If the seller promised it would fit on the plot, then they should acknowledge their error and do so. If they don't then you need to contact the finance company and make a s75 claim on the grounds of misrepresentation.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 12th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:11 PM
    What exactly was the reason for purchasing the caravan?
    If it was a consumer purchase (ie, for you to live in or to use for your personal holidays) then you should have the option of "S75" protection as mentioned by antrobus but if you were buying it with the intent of renting it out or using it for other business purposes then S75 may not apply.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 12th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 12th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:25 PM
    Why is one patch of grass 'suitable for what you wanted' but another patch of grass isn't?
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,615 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 12th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:04 PM
    What was the total price for the caravan? Just you said a large deposit of 10k and if the price was over 30,000 then section 75 wouldn't apply (although seciont 75a would - but this only covers very limited circumstances).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 12th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Les79
    • 12th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:36 PM
    Well, firstly I'd like to know whether the caravan and plot are separate contracts or whether it was a package.

If a package then dig out any evidence you have which says that the company intended to provide you with caravan X on plot Y, then you've got a fairly straightforward case. You'd probably need to speak to a solicitor due to the price, but the item is technically not as described.

If separate, then you need to establish where the measurements have gone awry. Three possibilities:

1. The measurements of the caravan are wrong (go after the provider of the caravan for item not being as described)

2. The measurements of the plot are wrong (go after the provider of the plot, potentially for consequential loss. This would be the trickiest scenario)

3. You have made a hash of the measurements for either of the above (tough luck)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

8,060Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin