Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PawelK
    • By PawelK 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 13Thanks
    PawelK
    HM Courts & Tribunals Service letter genuine?
    • 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    HM Courts & Tribunals Service letter genuine? 12th May 18 at 3:33 PM
    Hi.

I received a letter out f nowhere from historic debt enforcement team saying I had a court case from 2009 and I must pay. The letter doesnt state what offence have I made and only gives different options of payment and my account number within the case of a local magistrates court. When I opened the letter my first reaction was this must be a mistake and I got a bit stressed. When thinking about it, the only reason I can think of is some motoring offence back when I had a car. However, I can only remember two tickets I was given back then, one of which I have paid right away ananother succesfully challeneged. Is it possilbe they chase me for one of these or fomr something else I am completely not aware of? How should I contact them to find out more details? I know callng will be the easiest option but on the other hand this will be acknowledging the letter and I thought that after six years the case should have been written off and it is now over 9 years since then. Clearly, this is not the case with the court cases?

Can anyone share their own experience or advise?
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 11,443 Posts
    • 11,973 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:53 PM
    This may well be real.

Only civil debts become unenforcible after six years.
    You mention Magistrates Court so this probably relates to a real fine.

Perhaps you should take this to Pepipoo.com. That forum has people better able to deal with real parking fines. A Hotmail email address will not work when signing up there.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 20,766 Posts
    • 32,673 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 12th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:35 PM
    You need to find out from whom the original claim emanated, then let us know so we can give you more precise advice.

HMCTS have relatively recently (last 12 months) instigated a process of chasing old unpaid claims.

More info, more help.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • PawelK
    • By PawelK 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    PawelK
    • 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    You need to find out from whom the original claim emanated, then let us know so we can give you more precise advice.

HMCTS have relatively recently (last 12 months) instigated a process of chasing old unpaid claims.

More info, more help.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Hi.

It gives my account number within the case, division number which I presume relates to the local magistrates court that is also mentioned in the letter. It also says that this was imposed by that court 09.02.2009 and the ways of paying. It threatens that if not paid, the debt will be passed over to the bailiffs who will call by my address to execyte the payment even in good.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th May 18, 1:56 AM
    • 64,896 Posts
    • 77,478 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th May 18, 1:56 AM
    • 13th May 18, 1:56 AM
    Post here, no HOTMAIL emails allowed, and NO posting without PCN pics or it's pointless:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,050Posts Today

7,773Users online

Martin's Twitter