Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betty77
    • By betty77 12th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 14Thanks
    betty77
    How do I know if my ppi counts as missold?
    • 12th May 18, 3:25 PM
    How do I know if my ppi counts as missold? 12th May 18 at 3:25 PM
    I had PPI on a loan and credit card from Egg inearly 2000's. To behonest I don't really recall much about it I believe I was told that the PPI was mandatory and that I had to have it to take out the loan and card.

I also at that time had a preexisting medical condition which wasn't discussed with them. I am now disabled by that condition and unable to work but all my accounts with Egg were closed before this happened and I also have no paper work.

Are these good enough reasons to claim PPI compensation?

How did you know you were due compensation?
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 12th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:45 PM
    I had PPI on a loan and credit card from Egg inearly 2000's. To behonest I don't really recall much about it I believe I was told that the PPI was mandatory and that I had to have it to take out the loan and card.
    Originally posted by betty77

Egg were largely an online bank, it's unlikely you were "told" anything as most people applied online therefore didn't speak to anyone. There was a period of using pre-ticked boxes (opt-out) but dates for these are already known so unless you know these applications fell in this period it's a moot argument. Even if it was in person, can you prove this?

I also at that time had a preexisting medical condition which wasn't discussed with them. I am now disabled by that condition and unable to work but all my accounts with Egg were closed before this happened and I also have no paper work.

PPI was largely not an advised sale, they don't need to do a medical check so this would come down to whether the PPI would have covered you anyway (except for that condition) or not - only they can tell you if you complain

Nobody is due any compensation, you complain and see if they accept you were miss-sold or not. If you were, they refund your money and any applicable interest.

It's impossible to predict how your complaint would go, they might uphold it automatically due to the value of the complaint, they might reject it if they believe it was not or they have no records left. On a he said / she said argument (such as saying you were told to take it), it comes down to credibility and evidence. They will have a sales script, you have your word, they hold the strong ground there. If your finance was taken out online, claiming you were told to take the PPI will kill your case as it has no credibility. On the other hand if they feel the PPI policy was worthless to you, they may refund. What you might get will also depend on what records they have left of your spending and payments.
    • Placida
    • By Placida 14th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Placida
    • 14th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 14th May 18, 12:57 PM

Start here “Everything you need to know about PPI and how to claim back money you’ve paid”
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/

These links might answer your questions.
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/eligible-claim-mis-selling
    or
    https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/ppi/ppi-complaints-end-leaflet.pdf

If your Egg card was transferred to Barclaycard, see here
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/contact-barclaycard

If your Egg card or Egg money account was closed before October 2011 or not transferred to Barclaycard, see here
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/contact-citibankcanada-square-operations
    • betty77
    • By betty77 15th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    betty77
    • 15th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 2:30 PM
    Thank you Placida, your reply was very helpful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin