Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bundance
    • By bundance 12th May 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,068Posts
    • 349Thanks
    bundance
    Avoiding leaving unsaleable and financially burdensome property to loved ones after I die
    • 12th May 18, 3:09 PM
    Avoiding leaving unsaleable and financially burdensome property to loved ones after I die 12th May 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi

I have a leasehold flat which is unsaleable for various reasons.
    I don't really want to post these reasons on a public forum but if someone knowledeable wants to pm me I can go into more detail.
    Basically the lease is breached irremediably through structural alterations. the damage done has left the property vulenrable to further damage so bottom line, if i die and write a will, my poor relatives will be paying out for it for the rest of their lives and it will cause misery for generations.
    I don't want this.
    I can afford to make a simple will for a few hundred pounds but am worried that the complexities will mean that the price of making this will, will be out of my reach.
    If I die intestate, I have been advised by a solicitor that the relatives will get the property (if the mortgage is paid off, whether I like it or not or whether they like it or not)
    Bottom line, I want to avoid leaving a legacy of financial misery and liability to my loved ones.
    As above, willing to go into further detail in a pm to a knowledgeable person.
    I am expecting a phone call from a solicitor on Monday but I cannot stop worrying in the meantime that this situation of not being able to afford a roo-complex will, or dying intestate and leaving my relatives with no choice but to take on the property.
    There are issues like alterations causing vulnerabilitites like dry rot, past waterleaks possibly causing dry rot between storeys, as floors are concrete, voids between floors unventilated and lower flats having false timber ceilings. I can smell a rotten smell in between my skirting board and concrete floor when it rains.
    I spoke to an independent damp surveyor who said the only way I can tell if the downstairs flats have dry rot hiding above the plasterboard in thier ceilings, is to open them up, but the freeholder doesn't want that. so, you can see, how the flat would be unsaleable.
    PS I've had visits by an independent accredited damp surveyor.
    Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by bundance; 12-05-2018 at 3:11 PM.
Page 5
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 14th May 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    parkrunner
    This may help,

https://www.pocketpence.co.uk/do-claim-inheritance-8228042.html
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 14th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    pinklady21
    O/P I think you might be allowing your anxiety to take over here.
    There is very little you actually know for certain, much of your worry is based on speculation of what may, or may NOT happen. Your focus needs to be on the here and now and what is best for YOU.

Your worries over what might happen after you die are secondary to how you manage the situation of your flat now.
    If you really regret buying the flat, then why not sell it and start afresh somewhere else?

Spend your energy on making life better and less stressful for you.

Do a small amount of tarting up to the flat if that is required and then get an estate agent round to value it in its current condition (ie not the condition you are talking yourself into might or might not be the case.)

If the flat sold for a reasonable amount, you would be free of the worry of what may or may not happen in future.
    What could you buy in your area for around say 80 - 100k?
    • bundance
    • By bundance 15th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    bundance
    Hi and thanks everyone for your replies.
    Yesterday, I spoke to a high street solicitor in my town on the phone, 9she returned a call I's made prior to making this thread) who said I may not be able to make a will, but the reasons are too personal to share on a public forum.
    She said if I die intestate, there is a chance that my relatives may be forced to take the flat on and be saddled with the liability.
    I was too sad to write yesterday, absolutley devastated.
    I just don't know what to do.
    Although i don't want to elaborate on this forum, I will be more than happy to receive pm's from anyone who wishes to talk to me as i could really use some advice.
    The solicitor said she would have to look into the circumstances more but she said she could not rule out the possibility of me leaving a liability as a legacy onto my family.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dunroving
    Yesterday, I spoke to a high street solicitor in my town on the phone, 9she returned a call I's made prior to making this thread) who said I may not be able to make a will, but the reasons are too personal to share on a public forum.
    She said if I die intestate, there is a chance that my relatives may be forced to take the flat on and be saddled with the liability.
    Although i don't want to elaborate on this forum, I will be more than happy to receive pm's from anyone who wishes to talk to me as i could really use some advice.
    The solicitor said she would have to look into the circumstances more but she said she could not rule out the possibility of me leaving a liability as a legacy onto my family.
    Originally posted by bundance
    Multiple responses on this thread have made it very clear that this is *not* correct. No-one can be forced to accept a legacy either from a will or as the beneficiaries of an intestate deceased. If your relatives don't want to inherit the property they don't have to. Stop worrying yourself unnecessarily over this.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 9,877 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Do you know what, I don't beleive you or anything you've posted. I'm out.
    • bundance
    • By bundance 15th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    bundance
    Do you know what, I don't beleive you or anything you've posted. I'm out.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I'm not a troll im genuine.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 5,931 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Did you relentlessly force the question until she told you what you want to hear?

Your flat is not the liability you believe it is. Worst case scenario, your 100k flat has dry rot and needs 30k to put right. Your beneficiaries can sell it for 70k.

When you die the executors can put the flat on the market. Potential buyers will do their own surveys and value it accordingly. As there is no sign of dry rot it's worth its full value.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 30,850 Posts
    • 58,535 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Why don't you just get your flat valued? You may be pleasantly surprised. You don't actually KNOW that there are any problems.

Then if you can afford it, sell and move elsewhere. You will then not have to worry about the flat.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    by bundance
    What advice would you like, that you haven't already heard from multiple people?

Even if your flat is a ticking time bomb that will only sell for 20p and half a Mars bar, and cost eleventy million pounds to put right (and this is clearly not the case - much worse property than yours sells to someone every single day, and further, it's far from established that your flat would actually sell at anything other than its market value, because you don't even know whether it's got the Dread Dry Rot or not), it has been made abundantly crystal clear that your beneficiaries can just walk away from it - with the absolutely worst case being that your estate is worth nothing, and they therefore inherit nothing - including no debts or liabilities.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I'm not a troll im genuine.
    Then why don't you listen? Why do you keep repeating the same question, over and over, despite 100 people answering it the same way until one person says something ambiguous, then seize on that and say "ah, so I might leave a liability!"

I don't know who or what you are. What I can tell you is that a troll who only wanted to prolong the thread and didn't care about anything else would act exactly the way you are acting. So it's perfectly reasonable that people will see you behaving like a troll and assume you are one.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 30,850 Posts
    • 58,535 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Then why don't you listen? Why do you keep repeating the same question, over and over, despite 100 people answering it the same way until one person says something ambiguous, then seize on that and say "ah, so I might leave a liability!"

I don't know who or what you are. What I can tell you is that a troll who only wanted to prolong the thread and didn't care about anything else would act exactly the way you are acting. So it's perfectly reasonable that people will see you behaving like a troll and assume you are one.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Someone in the grip of raging anxiety would also behave like this.
    • brentcloning
    • By brentcloning 16th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    brentcloning
    Someone in the grip of raging anxiety would also behave like this.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend

Yeah, but there's absolutely nothing anyone here on the forums can do to help. She needs to talk to a doctor and get the help she requires. Hopefully she can get her anxiety under control and focus on these issues later.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 16th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    cloo
    I know this poster from another forum - she is not a troll but does have anxiety issues that focus on her flat which she cannot accept is not as problematic as her anxiety is telling her it is. She posts for advice but unfortunately is unable to accept any assurances that she's not going to be sued/it won't be a burden on her family/she's not ruining her neighbour's flats because she can't afford repairs/she hasn't broken the terms of her lease and so on. Clearly it is a powerful anxiety condition, so please be gentle with her!
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 16th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    parkrunner
    You thanked my post (#81) above but I can only assume you didn't bother reading the link. Bolded part above is quite simply rubbish.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I know this poster from another forum - she is not a troll but does have anxiety issues that focus on her flat which she cannot accept is not as problematic as her anxiety is telling her it is. She posts for advice but unfortunately is unable to accept any assurances that she's not going to be sued/it won't be a burden on her family/she's not ruining her neighbour's flats because she can't afford repairs/she hasn't broken the terms of her lease and so on. Clearly it is a powerful anxiety condition, so please be gentle with her!
    Originally posted by cloo
    I ask this as a serious question, but does she not realise that her anxiety is causing her to behave in a way that means she will gain nothing at all useful from this? Does her anxiety mean she can't accept when she is given the correct answers? If that is the case then "being gentle with her" is surely for someone like yourself to say "Look, you have had all the good advice you can now, why don't you stop this, as you are simply going to upset yourself, annoy other people and cloud your own judgement further as you get increasingly poor advice"?
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th May 18, 1:56 PM
    • 30,850 Posts
    • 58,535 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I ask this as a serious question, but does she not realise that her anxiety is causing her to behave in a way that means she will gain nothing at all useful from this? Possibly not Does her anxiety mean she can't accept when she is given the correct answers?Possibly If that is the case then "being gentle with her" is surely for someone like yourself to say "Look, you have had all the good advice you can now, why don't you stop this, as you are simply going to upset yourself, annoy other people and cloud your own judgement further as you get increasingly poor advice"?
    Anxiety can be all-encompassing and overwhelming and by far the best remedy is for the OP to get medical treatment for her anxiety. She does not appear capable, at the moment, of taking advice that seems contrary to the lies her anxiety is telling her.
    • remembermee
    • By remembermee 16th May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    remembermee
    I ask this as a serious question, but does she not realise that her anxiety is causing her to behave in a way that means she will gain nothing at all useful from this? Does her anxiety mean she can't accept when she is given the correct answers? If that is the case then "being gentle with her" is surely for someone like yourself to say "Look, you have had all the good advice you can now, why don't you stop this, as you are simply going to upset yourself, annoy other people and cloud your own judgement further as you get increasingly poor advice"?
    I have episodes of similar things. You can not grasp that the things whirling round in your head are not a problem. Sometimes you get temporary relief (5 mins?) from reassurance and then it starts again - sometimes a very slightly different angle or a minute detail has changed. The anxiety is so intense you cannot help but keep talking about it over and over and over ..... and the physical effects of anxiety are horrendous.

For me, a combination of valium and fluoxetine helped me. No longer on the valium. Anxiety is more controllable now. I hope OP manages to find a way to control the anxiety a little so that all this is a little less large in their mind.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Anxiety can be all-encompassing and overwhelming and by far the best remedy is for the OP to get medical treatment for her anxiety. She does not appear capable, at the moment, of taking advice that seems contrary to the lies her anxiety is telling her.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    The surely telling her this much better than letting her get into a constant loop of asking the same question of people and accepting only answers that make her feel worse? Why didn't someone point out five pages ago that this thread couldn't possibly be any help to the OP?

And surely the advice to give people now is not "be gentle" but please, whatever she asks, do not attempt to answer her questions, simply direct her to get medical help.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 30,850 Posts
    • 58,535 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    The surely telling her this much better than letting her get into a constant loop of asking the same question of people and accepting only answers that make her feel worse? Why didn't someone point out five pages ago that this thread couldn't possibly be any help to the OP?

And surely the advice to give people now is not "be gentle" but please, whatever she asks, do not attempt to answer her questions, simply direct her to get medical help.
    I agree that she needs to get medical help, as a first priority. She also needs constant re-assurance that her flat (the focus of her fear) is nowhere near as bad as she thinks it is, even if she keeps asking the questions over and over again.

The thread IS a help. She would have probably worried even worse case scenarios without it.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 16th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    cloo
    I'm just saying don't say she's a troll, I suppose.

People have been kind to her, people have been blunt with her, but unfortunately the anxiety is in charge so yes, any thread will go round in circles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,844Posts Today

6,378Users online

Martin's Twitter