Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RossHan
    • By RossHan 12th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    RossHan
    0 WOW
    Debit card £20 minimum spend, at a pub.
    • 12th May 18, 2:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Debit card £20 minimum spend, at a pub. 12th May 18 at 2:18 PM
    Hello, Last week I went for a very long walk in the hot sun to enjoy a nice cold pint of Cider at very nice pub. When I finally got there and ordered my pint, the barman told me that I needed to spend at least £20 to use my debit card. Holding back my disgruntled shock, I said "right, okay...where is the nearest cash point?" the reply was that there isn't any locally, a 20 minute walk away at the Tesco supermarket. Last resort was to get the £20 as cashback, He couldn't do that either. So I had to leave and walk home!. To be fair to the barman, he was cringing a little when explaining about there £20 min spend house rule.

Now, given that there is no cash point locally withing walking distance, or shop for that matter, I think this is blatant profiteering. Is there a trading body that I can complain too?

Thanks,

Ross.
    Last edited by RossHan; 12-05-2018 at 2:24 PM.
Page 2
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 13,326 Posts
    • 11,309 Thanks
    zagfles
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot how pedantic some people are on forums I gave them a 1 star TripAdvisor along with loads of others for the same reason. A third of their reviews are terrible, probably the only thing to do.
    Originally posted by RossHan
    I never look at the star ratings for exactly this reason, I look at the comments. People give low/high ratings for all sorts of things I consider trivial, like not taking card payments for small spends. I'm far more interested in how good their beer is.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 15th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    kinger101
    People are plucking the 50p per transaction figure from nowhere. No retailer who has shopped around pays this much. Handling cash isn't free either - particularly for larger businesses that have to arrange collections from armoured vehicles.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th May 18, 5:26 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 7,668 Thanks
    Murphybear
    People are plucking the 50p per transaction figure from nowhere. No retailer who has shopped around pays this much. Handling cash isn't free either - particularly for larger businesses that have to arrange collections from armoured vehicles.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    I agree. We used to run a business. The banks charged 25p for debit cards and a % for credit cards (canít remember the exact figure) plus running costs. However they charged for depositing cash. What a lot of people donít realise is that while banks donít usually charge people for their personal banking they do charge small businesses high fees
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 13,326 Posts
    • 11,309 Thanks
    zagfles
    I agree. We used to run a business. The banks charged 25p for debit cards and a % for credit cards (canít remember the exact figure) plus running costs. However they charged for depositing cash. What a lot of people donít realise is that while banks donít usually charge people for their personal banking they do charge small businesses high fees
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I think everyone realises this! The point is that it obviously costs more to process small transactions by card than by cash, otherwise why do think retailers have min spend limits for card transactions?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,168 Thanks
    suki1964
    My local petrol station won't accept cards for less then £20, its rare that I buy there

The pub also only accepts £20 payments on the card but just gives you cash back

The shop in the next village charges 50p transaction for less then £20

All these examples are small independents. Never have a problem with a chain
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 6,917 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    The shop in the next village charges 50p transaction for less then £20
    Originally posted by suki1964

I didn't think it was legal to do this any more ?

It's still OK to specify a minimum spend for using debit / credit cards, but not to charge people more for using a card than for cash.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 16th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    Castle
    I didn't think it was legal to do this any more ?

It's still OK to specify a minimum spend for using debit / credit cards, but not to charge people more for using a card than for cash.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    It's not legal, unless they charge the same fee for all methods of payment.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 16th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Assuming they are selling alcohol?

You should ask for a glass of tap water for free...
    • steviebuk
    • By steviebuk 28th May 18, 2:55 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    steviebuk
    Hello, Last week I went for a very long walk in the hot sun to enjoy a nice cold pint of Cider at very nice pub. When I finally got there and ordered my pint, the barman told me that I needed to spend at least £20 to use my debit card. Holding back my disgruntled shock, I said "right, okay...where is the nearest cash point?" the reply was that there isn't any locally, a 20 minute walk away at the Tesco supermarket. Last resort was to get the £20 as cashback, He couldn't do that either. So I had to leave and walk home!. To be fair to the barman, he was cringing a little when explaining about there £20 min spend house rule.

Now, given that there is no cash point locally withing walking distance, or shop for that matter, I think this is blatant profiteering. Is there a trading body that I can complain too?

Thanks,

Ross.
    Originally posted by RossHan

No. I looked this up the other day as in the IOW and was in The Dairyman's Daughter in Arreton Barns and the limit was £5 which I was told after she'd poured the drinks. Considering how rude she was and no visible sign, I really now wished I'd just said "forget it then" and walked off. But I stupidly got another drink to make up the £5.

I thought this wasn't allowed anymore but was wrong. It's just charging for using a debit or credit card that isn't allowed. So pubs/shops are now putting in min spend.

£20 is a lot though. Only option is to walk away.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 18th Jun 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 1,941 Thanks
    LittleMax
    Would you walk a 40 min journey just for a pint of cider?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Only for Cornish Orchards or Aspalls
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 26th Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    • 4,974 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    This rise of businesses who won't accept cash at all:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/24/cash-is-just-grief-why-shops-and-bars-want-to-make-you-pay-by-card
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter