Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2stixoftwix
    • By 2stixoftwix 12th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 2Thanks
    2stixoftwix
    Ground rent - park home overcharge
    • 12th May 18, 12:25 PM
    Ground rent - park home overcharge 12th May 18 at 12:25 PM
    Hi
    I wonder if anyone can advise

My 76 year old mother has lived for 6 years in a park home. The park is privately owned and she pays ground rent to the owner of 191 per month (this has gone up year by year)
    She originally paid 115,000 6 years ago

A different park home has just gone up for sale. This is a slightly bigger property and a few years newer the value is 159,950
    This home is being advertised with a ground rent of 136 per month
    55 per month less equalling 660 per year cheaper than my mum pays
    They are on the same site and has the same facilities

Does anyone know if there a governing body or someone we can complain to about this

Any advice gratefully received
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th May 18, 12:41 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th May 18, 12:41 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:41 PM
    What does the lease say about the rent and the mechanism controlling increases?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 8,044 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:47 PM
    The ground rent is unrelated to the size and value of the home sited on the plot. Perhaps the site owner considers your mother's plot to be more favourable and worthy of a higher rent due to its size, position, or whatever.

Or the site owner is willing to reduce the ground rent on the other home to get it sold, knowing that his loss on the ground rent will be made up by his sales commission on the more expensive home.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • 2stixoftwix
    • By 2stixoftwix 12th May 18, 5:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    2stixoftwix
    • 12th May 18, 5:28 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:28 PM
    The site owner has to give 28 days notice of ground rent

It's the legalities i'm interested in. why two properties can have such different prices.

The site is for over 55's only so most people are elderly.
    Seems very unfair to me
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:02 PM
    It's the legalities i'm interested in. why two properties can have such different prices.
    Originally posted by 2stixoftwix
    They have different prices because they're different properties, negotiated between different people at different times. There's no legal principle that they ought to be the same, in the same way that prices of similar houses in a normal street don't all need to be the same.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 12th May 18, 8:19 PM
    The site owner has to give 28 days notice of ground rent

The site is for over 55's only so most people are elderly.
    Seems very unfair to me
    Originally posted by 2stixoftwix
    What legalities? The owner of the land can charge whatever he wants to people who want to put their park home on it or to buy a park home already on it. The age of residents has nothing to do with the ground rent charges.

This not a sheltered housing council flat. It is a park home on a land in private ownership.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 10,654 Posts
    • 8,896 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 13th May 18, 3:24 PM
    The lower ground rent could be a "come-on", offer low rent for first few months or a year then increase it. Park owners can offer different rents to different people and for different pitches. Not illegal. The owner of a block of flats can offer the same size flats at different rents. It's called "free market economy". Only when it comes to rent increases and evictions will legislation prevail.

As others have said, age of home owner has no significance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,210Posts Today

7,164Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin