Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harbour Hopeful
    • By Harbour Hopeful 12th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Harbour Hopeful
    What does NatWest prefer? Overdraft usage behavior...
    • 12th May 18, 11:32 AM
    What does NatWest prefer? Overdraft usage behavior... 12th May 18 at 11:32 AM
    I have an arranged overdraft with NatWest for 1000. What sort of usage do you think they prefer?

I would like your answer to be based on the banks perspective - not whether using an overdraft is a bad idea etc.

Which one:

1. Only use it in urgent circumstances and only dip into a small amount of the total limit, putting your overall balance back above negative ASAP.

2. Use your overdraft deeply into the set limit and keep your account in an overdraft state, but not exceeding the arranged maximum. Keep incoming payments flowing through the account throughout the month to demonstrate financial income.

I have a feeling that it is 2, however I could be wrong.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 8,003 Posts
    • 8,918 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:25 PM
    Banks won't have a preference as such - they've granted you a facility and it's up to you if/how you use it. Yes, the more you use it then the more it costs you in interest (and other charges?), so that's more revenue for them, but conversely the fact that you owe them money increases their risk (that you'd default).

Lack of use might ultimately lead to limit reduction or even facility withdrawal, but OTOH if you used it heavily and they chose to demand repayment then that could put you in an awkward situation.

So, I'd just use the overdraft as/when it works for you (and few would choose to use one if they had the choice), don't try to second guess what's good for them....
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    18cc
    • 12th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 12th May 18, 2:48 PM
    Banks make profit on lending out money....
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 12th May 18, 2:57 PM
    Banks make profit on lending out money....
    Originally posted by 18cc
    They make the profit on the interest margin between deposits and loans, minus write offs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,020Posts Today

7,925Users online

Martin's Twitter