Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Farwa33
    • By Farwa33 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Farwa33
    0 WOW
    Lost item from easy jet hold
    • 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    0 WOW
    Lost item from easy jet hold 12th May 18 at 10:39 AM
    Hi,

So we flew on easy jet on our return from Turkey just this week.
    Iíve unpacked today to find my designer sunglasses missing :í( Iím so upset as theyíre my favourite!
    I packed them in my small suitcase that I was going to take on board with me but the lady at check in offered for it to be taken free of charge with my booked luggage so I agreed as I was traveling with a toddler and baby. The suitcase was not padlocked for the reason that I was planning to take it on board.

Easy jet are not being very helpful. Any advise on what I should do? This is the first time I didnít get travel insurance and this happens
Page 1
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 12th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    • 12th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:50 AM
    You took a toddler and a baby to Turkey with no travel insurance? There's your problem there. Your issue will be with the ground staff at the airport, but how far do you want to push this?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 19,495 Posts
    • 45,203 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 12th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:56 AM
    They usually ask if there are any valuables you want to remove before putting it in the hold. Did they do this?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 12th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 12th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:15 AM
    Perhaps buy a new pair?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 18,657 Posts
    • 7,794 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:44 AM
    Get travel insurance next time.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Farwa33
    • By Farwa33 12th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Farwa33
    • 12th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:52 AM
    Iíve learnt my lesson the hard way!!
    Yes you guys are right that it was my mistake to travel without insurance.. never again!
    In regards to being asked if I wanted to remove any valuables -no I wasnít offered the option to take out valuables and if any of you have traveled with kids you know how stressful it is. I didnít even think to take them out myself.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 12th May 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 12th May 18, 5:43 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:43 PM
    I!!!8217;ve learnt my lesson the hard way!!
    Yes you guys are right that it was my mistake to travel without insurance.. never again!
    You got off lightly. Learning the hard way would have been if any of you were taken ill in Turkey and needed medical treatment, or repatriation to the UK - you'd be facing a bill of thousands rather than just a pair of sunglasses.
    • photome
    • By photome 12th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 8,829 Thanks
    photome
    • 12th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 12th May 18, 10:50 PM
    You got off lightly. Learning the hard way would have been if any of you were taken ill in Turkey and needed medical treatment, or repatriation to the UK - you'd be facing a bill of thousands rather than just a pair of sunglasses.
    Originally posted by bagand96
    This is worth repeating.

I canít believe anyone would travel without insurance unless they have enough money to cover repatriation
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th May 18, 1:06 AM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th May 18, 1:06 AM
    • 13th May 18, 1:06 AM
    You fell prey to dishonest baggage handlers, no less prevalent in Turkey than elsewhere, and have unfortunately seen the last of your sunglasses. The best pickings are made by the handler working inside the hold who stows hand luggage taken at the boarding gate, and is always ready to inspect for available valuables. Failing to lock facilitates his enterprise.

If the easyJet staff didn't remind you to take precautions, they certainly should have and it may be worth complaining. But your experience will no doubt make you more careful in future so take solace that a worse misfortune has been and will be avoided.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 20th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    katejo
    You fell prey to dishonest baggage handlers, no less prevalent in Turkey than elsewhere, and have unfortunately seen the last of your sunglasses. The best pickings are made by the handler working inside the hold who stows hand luggage taken at the boarding gate, and is always ready to inspect for available valuables. Failing to lock facilitates his enterprise.

If the easyJet staff didn't remind you to take precautions, they certainly should have and it may be worth complaining. But your experience will no doubt make you more careful in future so take solace that a worse misfortune has been and will be avoided.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Having a padlock could also indicate to handlers that there is something worth stealing. Quite a few years ago I was waiting to collect a case from the hold. It had nothing of value in it, just dirty clothes. When it came onto the carousel, I could see that someone had tried to force the padlock and, on failing, had slashed the corner of the case with a knife of some kind. I lost nothing from it but the airline did have to replace my case.
    i doubt the insurer would pay out on a pair of sunglasses unless they were seriously expensive/prescription ones.
    • Farwa33
    • By Farwa33 20th May 18, 4:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Farwa33
    Yeh they wouldn!!!8217;t have paid out for them. Even though they!!!8217;re worth £300... airline won!!!8217;t do anything as baggage handlers don!!!8217;t work for them directly. They are employed by the airports. Glad thy replaced your suitcase for you though.. such a pain to have to go through things like that.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 18,657 Posts
    • 7,794 Thanks
    richardw
    ...airline won t do anything as baggage handlers don t work for them directly. They are employed by the airports....
    Originally posted by Farwa33
    There s a principal-agent relationship between the airline and the baggage handlers.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 27th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    LadyDee
    How can you even prove there was a £300 pair of sunglasses in the case?
    • photome
    • By photome 27th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 8,829 Thanks
    photome
    How can you even prove there was a £300 pair of sunglasses in the case?
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    How can you ever prove something has been stolen
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 27th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I was at a BBQ the other week and somebody who works on ground at BA/LHR was bragging about the designer stuff left on planes that never make it to the lost property. His daughter now has a hoody that was left on a BA flight and retails at £300.
    Apparently it's a given that stuff is there to be stolen, I had no idea that people actually think that petty criminality is okay. You have no chance of getting anywhere, just buy a new pair and chalk it to expensive, sadly
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 27th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 14,411 Posts
    • 19,316 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Luckily my experiences of leaving stuff on planes have had happy endings.

Wife left something on a Monarch plane at Birmingham. Got it back about six weeks later. I dropped my wallet on a plane at Changi and I had it back within an hour of reporting it. My wife realised that she had left an expensive jacket on the same plane when we arrived in Australia (a stewardess had moved it while she was sleeping). It was waiting for her when we arrived back in Singapore a month later.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • katejo
    • By katejo 27th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    katejo
    Luckily my experiences of leaving stuff on planes have had happy endings.

Wife left something on a Monarch plane at Birmingham. Got it back about six weeks later. I dropped my wallet on a plane at Changi and I had it back within an hour of reporting it. My wife realised that she had left an expensive jacket on the same plane when we arrived in Australia (a stewardess had moved it while she was sleeping). It was waiting for her when we arrived back in Singapore a month later.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I had a lucky experience too. I was on an Easyjet plane which was usually a transit/goods plane but had been temporarily converted to a passenger plane. My old Nokia phone slipped out of my hand and down a gap in the floor so I couldn't get to retrieve it. I reported it to the plane staff who took my details. A few days later, the plane had this temporary floor removed and they found my phone. Just by chance the wife of one of the Easyjet maintenance team worked near to me and she kindly delivered it back to my workplace.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 27th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 14,365 Thanks
    worried jim
    Any advise on what I should do? (
    Originally posted by Farwa33
    (Advice)

Well definitely get travel insurance, however you may have it already on a packaged bank account or credit card like Amex. Do you?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 31st May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    LadyDee
    How can you ever prove something has been stolen
    Originally posted by photome
    Can be difficult. Travels Easy Jet but wears £300 sunglasses which conveniently disappear from a suitcase in the hold.
    • codger
    • By codger 1st Jun 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    codger
    Can be difficult. Travels Easy Jet but wears £300 sunglasses which conveniently disappear from a suitcase in the hold.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Short-haul charter airlines go to many a destination that scheduled airlines don't. Or operate from UK airports at locations and times more convenient to the user.

We often fly British Airways and American Airlines but. . . so what? We live in the north of England and recently wished to go direct to Seville, Spain. The only flight available in terms of convenience and timing was ex-Manchester by Ryanair (which, incidentally, did an excellent job for £45 each.)

The operator which a customer chooses to fly with has absolutely no bearing at all on what that customer's net worth might be; I've flown British Airways Concorde Heathrow-Miami with the then cheapest of cheapo 35mm film cameras; I've also flown Jet2 Newcastle-Malaga with a £2,000 Nikon DSLR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

4,107Users online

Martin's Twitter