Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 7,657Posts
    • 13,821Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Toilets and the law
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    Toilets and the law 12th May 18 at 9:50 AM
    At work the ladies loos are out of order and told to use the mens. Many donít like this as may come in the toilets with a male colleague in there.

Are there any laws about this?
Page 2
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Issue instruction that only cubicles are to be used, not the urinals, until the problem with the ladies toilet has been fixed. Move the sanitary bin into one of cubicles (assuming more than one) and designate it for female use only. Not rocket science.
    If only the male toilets are available I'm not sure what other solution the OP expects. Should the men go outside and p behind a tree?
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 12th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I work on building sites, Lavatory is a bucket in the back of the van.
    But sooner that than working in an office with women whose primary concern is the type of bin to be used
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 38,497 Posts
    • 35,157 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Issue instruction that only cubicles are to be used, not the urinals, until the problem with the ladies toilet has been fixed. Move the sanitary bin into one of cubicles (assuming more than one) and designate it for female use only. Not rocket science.
    If only the male toilets are available I'm not sure what other solution the OP expects. Should the men go outside and p behind a tree?
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    this sound sensible, although really if men are using a urinal there is not a lot to see, is there?

I could perhaps understand if the men felt inhibited by having the ladies walking past them while they pee, after all the men are showing their bits not the ladies. but having said that, I heard a chap on the radio the other day saying how much he HATED ungendered toilets, because he was always so embarrassed by the state of unisex male loos, that he didn't want ladies to see a loo left in a state. I thought at the time, there's an easy answer to that, if only men would stop leaving loos in a state.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 11,049 Posts
    • 29,452 Thanks
    suki1964
    I remember being in a night club in Rheims in 1977 and needing the loo, found a huge room with a urinal on one wall and loos on the other, no cubicles.

Men and women doing what they they needed to do in full view of everyone else, no privacy whatsoever

I survived
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th May 18, 10:32 PM
    • 7,657 Posts
    • 13,821 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I thought there was a ratio of toilets to employees working. Example - 2 of each gender for a workplace with 600 people
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 11,049 Posts
    • 29,452 Thanks
    suki1964
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/toilets.htm

We have one, for 12 staff. Not all staff are on site at the same time
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th May 18, 11:30 PM
    • 38,497 Posts
    • 35,157 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Thanks for that link: we're near the limit! We have two for +/- 25 staff - that's the number on payroll in our building, although atm we are not all there for various reasons. Fortunately I don't think we EVER have everyone in at the same time!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th May 18, 11:41 PM
    • 11,049 Posts
    • 29,452 Thanks
    suki1964
    I thought there was a ratio of toilets to employees working. Example - 2 of each gender for a workplace with 600 people
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble

Your shop has 600 employees?
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 13th May 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I think those figures are wrong but, even so, how much better just to have 4 toilets for 600 staff.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 13th May 18, 1:08 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    The last 3 jobs I've had have all had unisex toilets. The toilets were all clean and never caused a problem. They were all old buildings, one of them was a listed building, so not like it is a modern idea. Actually in one job I was the only woman working in the building, the women's loo was inside on the first floor the men's was outside across a yard. When I started work there I was approached by one of the men who explained it had been all men working there for years so they used the women's loo and would I object if they continued to do so, it didn't worry me. A woman who came to the building for a few minutes 3 or 4 times a week kicked up a fuss as she did object to men using the loo and thought having a woman working there fulltime would mean the men wouldn't be able to use them any more.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 5,418 Thanks
    bouicca21
    At my last place the women's loo was on the ground floor, but those of us who worked on the top floor pretty soon decided that the men's on that floor was going to be unisex. No problem, in fact better from the point of view of the cleaners, since the men started to improve their aim.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Try being a female in the Armed Forces 'in the field'!

The gents would be a verbal 'don't turn round lass' and the ladies would be behind a land rover wheel.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 14th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    bap98189
    At work the ladies loos are out of order and told to use the mens. Many donít like this as may come in the toilets with a male colleague in there.

Are there any laws about this?
    I'm assuming that this isn't a permanent change and that there is a good reason why the ladies are out of order. What realistically do you expect your employer to do about it? Ban the men from using the toilets? Instantly install a new toilet facility?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

6,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin