Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jamesweir123
    • By Jamesweir123 12th May 18, 9:46 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jamesweir123
    Hmrc 30 hours childcare issues no reminder
    • 12th May 18, 9:46 AM
    Hmrc 30 hours childcare issues no reminder 12th May 18 at 9:46 AM
    Hello all, I'm taking a break from my melt down to write this post in the hope someone can shed some light on my issue.

I am new to free childcare as started my eldest child (now 3 1/2) in September. I received two emails with a deadline date of December the 1st anti reconfirm and I did this. The message on the hmrc website was that they would contact me 4 weeks before I was to reconfirm again.
    five months passed and still nothing so I logged on and reconfirmed myself.
    My childcare provider was then told that the code was for next term and I'd missed the deadline date for this term meaning I'd have to pay for my son's childcare myself!!! I phoned hmrc to ask why they hadn't informed me in advance like they should have done and they couldn't tell me, just asked for me to complain.

I am totally distraught at the moment as we just cannot afford the childcare costs so don't know where we stand for appealing it. I feel like I've totally been let down by the system and as a busy working mum time passes so fast you really do rely on these reminders especially when the only experience you've had of them before was that they send them in advance.

Has anyone else experienced this or could anyone shed any light?

I feel so stupid for not checking and trusting them. My childcare provider was also contacted by the local authority last time and told that I needed to renew however not informed this one so she hadn't a clue either.

Tia

Xx
Page 1
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 7,360 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    Sorry this has happened. It's probably a fear of many parents due to the cost implications. I thankfully had my reminder for March. Complain officially, escalate it higher, appeal if you have to. It might help your case if your childcare provider confirms they didn't receive a reminder for you when they did for others.

To prevent it happening again if mark it on your calender, with reminders on yiur phone, to log on weekly in the third month. I think I'll do the same. Ask any friends you have with children the same age if you can all remind each other also.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Jamesweir123
    • By Jamesweir123 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jamesweir123
    • 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 13th May 18, 9:09 AM
    Hi Kynthia

Thanks so much for your reply. I am the first and only person childcare has used the 30 hours so it is all new for them too. I've spent all yesterday looking in forums/ websites and it appears that hey should send reminders at 4 weeks before, 2 weeks before and then contact me to inform me I've missed the deadline and have entered a grace period etc. I've had absolutely nothing via email (as they always contact me) or via text message. I've complained to hmrc and the local council however am terrified they will say they did something when they didn't. Do you know if they can trace what's been sent as I'd feel better then because I'd know they could clearly see I've not received anything.

The annoying thing is im a watcher so super organised. The only reason I didn't date it is because in November they did send me reminders so I relied on this as that was my int experience of the process. My son stars school Sep so I won't need to update again.

Thanks again

Sam x
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 13th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 7,360 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 13th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 13th May 18, 10:21 AM
    Look how to complain or appeal the cessation of funding officially. Complaints arent always officially logged as one unless you follow a proper process. Often there's a separate address to write to so take a look on the Gov site or ring and ask. Good luck.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,445Users online

Martin's Twitter