Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aimees
    • By Aimees 12th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aimees
    MOT fail - advice
    • 12th May 18, 9:43 AM
    MOT fail - advice 12th May 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi just looking for any advice. I am a learner driver and was got my first car 6months ago to practise in however my car has just been for its mot and failed on a number of things and to be honest I am clueless about cars and have no one close to me I can ask. So just wondering if anyone give give me an idea of how much it'll cost to fix whilst I wait to hear back from garage.

Failures are;
    Off side front anti-roll bar has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.g.2)

Offside coil spring broken and nearside front (2.4.c.1a)

Parking brake leaver has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.b.7)
Page 1
    • Aimees
    • By Aimees 12th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aimees
    • 12th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:44 AM
    Should of added car it's a 58plate VW polo diseal
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 12th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 12th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:24 AM
    Two front springs and the anti roll bar link will be about £100 in parts. Hours labour on top. Expect to pay £150 to £200 at an independent garage.

Brakes depends on what's causing the problem. If drum brakes at rear it could just Need the brake assemble cleaning and adjusting, worst case new shoes so £100 all in at an independent. If disc brakes it could need a new caliper plus discs and pads so £200 to £250 all in.

Welcome to the joys of car ownership.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 12th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    markudman
    • 12th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:38 PM
    Two front springs and the anti roll bar link will be about £100 in parts. Hours labour on top. Expect to pay £150 to £200 at an independent garage.

Brakes depends on what's causing the problem. If drum brakes at rear it could just Need the brake assemble cleaning and adjusting, worst case new shoes so £100 all in at an independent. If disc brakes it could need a new caliper plus discs and pads so £200 to £250 all in.

Welcome to the joys of car ownership.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Agree, its only serviceable items, the last few years I have been doing more and more coil springs, I think it has to do with sleeping policeman and pot holes.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th May 18, 1:35 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 13th May 18, 1:35 AM
    • 13th May 18, 1:35 AM
    Agree, its only serviceable items, the last few years I have been doing more and more coil springs, I think it has to do with sleeping policeman and pot holes.
    Originally posted by markudman
    That and modern springs being stressed within an inch of their lives in the perpetual quest for weight saving. Thinner springs made of more complex alloys and harder tempers leaves much less safety margin for corrosion or damage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,537Posts Today

6,896Users online

Martin's Twitter