Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smirnoff1986
    • By smirnoff1986 12th May 18, 9:03 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 9Thanks
    smirnoff1986
    Temporary 2nd home, stamp duty charge.
    • 12th May 18, 9:03 AM
    Temporary 2nd home, stamp duty charge. 12th May 18 at 9:03 AM
    I currently own a property but have a new job for the next 2yrs elsewhere so we have decided to buy a 2nd property near my new job. We will be keeping my existing property to move back to once my job is complete and then selling the 2nd property.
    What I'd like to know if someone can help is, would I be able to have the 3% stamp duty charge refunded when I sell the 2nd property?
    I see people have it refunded when they sell there main residence and I'm thinking as this will be my main residence for 2yrs I may be able to?
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 12th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:10 AM
    No, you can't get the stamp duty refunded.
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 12th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    tom9980
    • 12th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:19 AM
    You should rent not buy in this situation. Dont forget IF the economy tanks during brexit house prices would too you are exposing yourself to a lot of risk for likely very little gain.
    In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 6,811 Posts
    • 6,426 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 12th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:27 AM
    I see people have it refunded when they sell there main residence and I'm thinking as this will be my main residence for 2yrs I may be able to?
    Originally posted by smirnoff1986
    the rule is very simple: in order to claim a refund you must have sold your main residence when you purchase your new main residence

you will not get a refund

house A is not being sold when house B is purchased .... nor is A being purchased after B is sold

read the rules instead of seeing what others have done
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property
    Last edited by 00ec25; 12-05-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10,132 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:29 AM
    I agree with Tom, I don't see any benefit at all in buying, if you work out the fees plus extra SDLT they would likely fund a years rent so even if mortgage was cheaper than rent by a few hundred pounds, over 2 years you'd end up spending less renting.

Then as said there's the possibility of house price falls, they don't seem to be rising at the moment, so odds of losing out from house price changes are higher than gaining.

Add to that other potential costs suppose you needed and new boiler or roof or any other house maintenance which even if you could live with, your purchaser in 2 years would want fixed or taken off the sale price, and it's hard to see any upside at all.
    • smirnoff1986
    • By smirnoff1986 12th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    smirnoff1986
    • 12th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 12th May 18, 2:21 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    The house is very very cheap for the area that's why we thought of buying instead of renting as renting it's dead money. Never mind with the stamp duty, we'll just have to factor that in to the price.
    Thanks once again for your replies everyone !!!128077;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin