Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 12th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 856Posts
    • 797Thanks
    vacheron
    Tax free childcare question after stopping work.
    • 12th May 18, 8:15 AM
    Tax free childcare question after stopping work. 12th May 18 at 8:15 AM
    Hi all.

Hopefully someone here has had experience of a similar situation and can offer some advice.

We have been using the governments tax free childcare scheme for the last few months where the government will top up our payments into the scheme by 25%.

Every 3 months we have to re-confirm that we are both in work. The maximum government top up for that 3 month period is then £500 which equates to a parental contribution of £2000.

My wife was told yesterday that her job is being made redundant, however I was thinking that while she is still in work we could top up the account this month with £2000 to get the full £500 top-up and then use this in to pay for any childcare requirements in future years.

Would this be permitted or would we be breaking any rules if we were to "use" (not receive, as we will have received it while we were eligible) the governments 25% contribution after she has stopped work, or would us declaring we are no longer eligible for the scheme result in them closing the account and returning our balance (minus the government contribution) back to us?

Any advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by vacheron; 12-05-2018 at 8:18 AM.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
Page 1
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 12th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 12th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:54 PM
    At the point you pay out the money from the account to the childminder - the main reason for doing so has to be to enable you to be work. As the scheme is new, it isn't clear how closely HMRC will check this or how much scope there is to use it in between jobs while you are looking for work.

Subject to that main reason test - you can keep on spending the money. If you want to withdraw your contributions, any Gov top-up will be recovered.

IQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin