Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tilamok
    • By tilamok 12th May 18, 4:17 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 5Thanks
    tilamok
    Prof Carpet Clean unfortunately with Bleach
    • 12th May 18, 4:17 AM
    Prof Carpet Clean unfortunately with Bleach 12th May 18 at 4:17 AM
    Hi All

I had my carpets professionally cleaned some months ago and it was all really well done. However I started getting weird feelings on my feet every time i walked on the carpet and I had to rinse my feet every night. Now i have noticed cracks in my heels and I can no longer walk on the carpet without socks.
    I can only conclude that the carpet cleaner has used bleach on my carpets.
    Can anyone give me some advice as to how to remove the bleach from my carpets? I have been using a wet hoover but it!!!8217;s not as effective as I hoped.
    No need to say that I do not want to have anything to do with the original carpet cleaners anymore.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 14th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 14th May 18, 7:31 AM
    Unless you can find out what the solution contained there's little you can do, apart from not walking barefoot.

I can't imagine professional carpet cleaners would use bleach in quantity sufficient to cause the symptoms you describe.

Cracks in your heels could indicate a vitamin C deficiency, and if your carpet is nylon or contains nylon, I should think the cracks coupled with nylon are causing the "weird" feeling.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 8,982 Posts
    • 10,742 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:33 AM
    Hi All

I had my carpets professionally cleaned some months ago and it was all really well done.......

I can only conclude that the carpet cleaner has used bleach on my carpets........

No need to say that I do not want to have anything to do with the original carpet cleaners anymore........

Originally posted by tilamok

1. The company did 'a good job'.

I'm assuming that means they were punctual, polite, tidy, careful and generally everything you'd expect from someone coming to your house to do a job or service for you. That probably extends to them using proper detergents and cleaners on your carpet.

Did you know beforehand that you had issues with particular sorts of cleaning products? Did you tell them if you did?

2. You can only conclude they used bleach.

Bleach is a component in many carpet cleaners - but by no means the only thing you could be reacting to. Did they put some sort of stain resistant coating on the carpet afterwards? It could be this too. It is also possible that you have developed some skin condition quite independently of the carpet cleaner. Just because something happens at a similar time, doesn't mean one thing caused the other.

3. You don't want to have anything to do with the company again....

Why not?? You said they did a good job, why are you assuming that their customer care will not be as good? Did they know of any allergies/intolerances you had? If not, it's hardly their fault.

They will know what they have used, they will have access to the COSHH information about it. I'm sure it won't be anything they've knowingly done to try and dissolve your feet - so if it were my business, I would certainly want to know and help try to fix it.

One of their industrial cleaners going over it with a rinse, or even re-cleaning it with different products would be something I'd offer if it were my company, and a customer had issues like that.
    Last edited by Toothsmith; 14-05-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter