Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dr Wu
    • By Dr Wu 11th May 18, 10:53 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Dr Wu
    credit score in advance of mortgage application
    • 11th May 18, 10:53 PM
    credit score in advance of mortgage application 11th May 18 at 10:53 PM
    Hi

Youngest daughter is 22, lives at home and works full time. She is planning to buy her first home in approx one years time and is saving hard for the deposit. She just realised that she probably needs a credit score to get a mortgage so I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions as to the best way to achieve this. She's just applied for a credit card which she will spend approx 50 on then pay off in full every month and she has a mobile phone contract.
    Just wondering if there was anything else she could do to build up her score over the next 12 months or so?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Krisko
    • By Krisko 11th May 18, 11:13 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Krisko
    • 11th May 18, 11:13 PM
    • 11th May 18, 11:13 PM
    That's about it. Keep using the credit card and paying it off in full every month.

If she's spending more than 50 a month it wouldn't hurt using the card a bit more (if her credit limit allows it).
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th May 18, 11:21 PM
    • 9,508 Posts
    • 14,634 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 11th May 18, 11:21 PM
    • 11th May 18, 11:21 PM
    No such thing as a credit score, lenders lend on credit history and affordablity. Make sure she is on the voters roll, besides that just paying bills on time and living within her means should do it.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 12th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 12th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:23 AM
    She needs to build up history that demonstrates to a lender that she can be responsible with their money.

Make sure she is on the ER.
    Pay the CC off once the statement has been produced and not before otherwise it will report a zero balance which is pointless.
    Make sure her mobile is paid on time without fail.
    Don't use an overdraft.

Her current account should also report into the CRAs. She could think about getting another one (one for bills, one for spending etc)

Check all 3 files for free using the alternatives below
    Experian via Credit Club
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Call Credit via Noddle

Save as much for a deposit as possible.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 32,544 Posts
    • 20,476 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:34 AM
    She first of all needs to check her files at the 3 agencies mentioned, totally money is another option who get the data from 1 of the 3 agencies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,086Posts Today

8,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin