Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bikeman17
    • By bikeman17 11th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 22Thanks
    bikeman17
    Driving license/V5c address change required?
    • 11th May 18, 9:20 PM
    Driving license/V5c address change required? 11th May 18 at 9:20 PM
    Hello

Need some advice.

I will be moving home in the next month or so.
    I will be leaving my parents home and moving into a flat. I will still be visiting my parents every month and be staying over at some weekends.

I read on the threads here that I need to update my driving licence as I moved to a new address, however my parents address will still be a contactable address for me.

My question is do I need to notify DVLA of the change of my address?
Page 2
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th May 18, 5:44 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,615 Thanks
    unholyangel
    For driving licence purposes, from the DVLA's leaflet Ins57P - Information on Driving Licences - 'The address must be one in Great Britain where we can contact you at any time', so not necessarily where someone actually lives.
    As long the address is one where the licence holder can be contacted, it would comply with that Road Traffic Act requirement.
    Originally posted by Rover Driver
    And you're convinced that means it can be any address rather than it being a warning from the DVLA not to use (for example) your business address when you only visit your business premises once a month?

Since you seem to think the DVLA's paraphrasing overrides statute, how about this:

Drivers are required by law to let the DVLA know if they change their name or address,Ē said a DVLA spokesperson.

ďThe DVLA then issue a new licence for free.Keeping DVLA informed ensures that drivers can be notified promptly with important information affecting them such as reminders when their licence is due for renewal.

If a driver fails to notify the DVLA of changes they could face a fine of up to £1000
    So somewhere a person lives, works and where letters can be sent.

Cambridge English Dictionsry.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    If you read my post, I did provide the dictionary definition for it (although I chose oxford dictionary).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And you're convinced that means it can be any address rather than it being a warning from the DVLA not to use (for example) your business address when you only visit your business premises once a month?

Since you seem to think the DVLA's paraphrasing overrides statute, how about this:

If you read my post, I did provide the dictionary definition for it (although I chose oxford dictionary).
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    So youíve not provided any evidence it must be your home address.

Iíll ask you again what does a traveller do?
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 12th May 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    once a month?

Drivers are required by law to let the DVLA know if they change their name or address,!!!8221; said a DVLA spokesperson.

Yes, licence holders are required to notify the DVLA of a change of address, but that address is only required to be an address where they can be contacted at any time.
    Last edited by Rover Driver; 12-05-2018 at 6:01 PM.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,615 Thanks
    unholyangel
    So you!!!8217;ve not provided any evidence it must be your home address.

I!!!8217;ll ask you again what does a traveller do?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    According to the DVLA, where certain groups are of no fixed abode (like travellers), they can give a care of address (which can be a hotel, doctors or friends address) providing the resident gives permission. This would fall under the "reasonable cause" exception from the offence I quoted.

(5)A person who [F75without reasonable cause]fails to comply with the duty under subsection [F76(2A),][F75(3) [F77, (3ZA)] or](4) above is guilty of an offence.
    I don't think "I moved out of my parents and for no specific reason didn't want to update my details" would quite meet the reasonable cause exception like "I have no home address" would.

Also, not all travellers are of no fixed abode. The ones here all have very nice houses down towards Glasgow direction.
    Last edited by unholyangel; 12-05-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    According to the DVLA, where certain groups are of no fixed abode (like travellers), they can give a care of address (which can be a hotel, doctors or friends address) providing the resident gives permission. This would fall under the "reasonable cause" exception from the offence I quoted.

I don't think "I moved out of my parents and for no specific reason didn't want to update my details" would quite meet the reasonable cause exception like "I have no home address" would.

Also, not all travellers are of no fixed abode. The ones here all have very nice houses down towards Glasgow direction.
    You can think what you like, but you donít have to live at the address on your licence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin