Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 11th May 18, 8:13 PM
    • 10,379Posts
    • 11,702Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    ipad help required
    • 11th May 18, 8:13 PM
    ipad help required 11th May 18 at 8:13 PM
    Is there an experienced ipad user who could give me an idiot's guide on how to transfer video films from a PC onto an ipad.

I've never used any Apple devices before but one of my parents wants me to put a few films on their ipad for when they are away on holiday.
    If possible, I would like to create a new folder on their ipad for the films so that they can find them easily.
    I have the password and id for their Apple account.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th May 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th May 18, 7:02 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:02 AM
    You don't have access to the file system on iPads so you can't add a folder and copy files to it. You will need to use iTunes to transfer media to an iPad.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 32,774 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:36 AM
    Use something like google drive to upload the videos then login into the same gmail account and use google drive to download them.
    • stinky_daddy
    • By stinky_daddy 12th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    stinky_daddy
    • 12th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:18 AM
    Is there an experienced ipad user who could give me an idiot's guide on how to transfer video films from a PC onto an ipad.

I've never used any Apple devices before but one of my parents wants me to put a few films on their ipad for when they are away on holiday.
    If possible, I would like to create a new folder on their ipad for the films so that they can find them easily.
    I have the password and id for their Apple account.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Hi

I do this regularly and I follow these instructions.

1. Does the ipad in question have VLC already on it (it is an orange icon with what looks like a traffic cone in the middle of it (if it doesn't have VLC installed, just download it from the store - it is free, other apps also do the same job)

2. Connect the charging lead (for the ipad - usb to mini usb lead) to your computer and the ipad

3. Once connected, itunes should open automatically, click the top, then, click the little ipad icon at the top left (about 5 cm in next to the dropdown option that says music

4. This should then take you to another screen that gives you the specifics of the ipad attached, click file sharing on the far left column (it should have a capital A lookylikey icon next to it )

5. Click on VLC in the Apps section and then scroll down until you see Add File option, click that and navigate to the film location that you want to add (note it needs to be the film itself and not the containing folder)

6. Select the film by clicking on it and then confirming open, the device will then copy the film into the VLC folder (if you look at the top of the itunes window, it will give a progress update on the copying, when you have finished transferring, simply disconnect the lead after closing itunes window)

7.Rinse and repeat many times (free space on the ipad dependent - once a film has been watched and it is wanting to be deleted to free up space for the next film (see 9.)

8. The transferred film should now be available to watch, simply press the VLC icon on the homepage and watch the desired film

9. You can always delete it by selecting the film (press and hold it) and they all start to wobble and a small circle appears in each film (at the top left position), simply select the film and pressing the dustbin icon on the bottom right of the screen)

HTH
    s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    ...and then it hits me

Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 13th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice given.

I don't currently have access to the ipad but as soon as I do, I will pop back and update.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 14th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    tonygold
    • 14th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:08 AM
    Hi

I do this regularly and I follow these instructions.

1. Does the ipad in question have VLC already on it (it is an orange icon with what looks like a traffic cone in the middle of it (if it doesn't have VLC installed, just download it from the store - it is free, other apps also do the same job)

2. Connect the charging lead (for the ipad - usb to mini usb lead) to your computer and the ipad

3. Once connected, itunes should open automatically, click the top, then, click the little ipad icon at the top left (about 5 cm in next to the dropdown option that says music

4. This should then take you to another screen that gives you the specifics of the ipad attached, click file sharing on the far left column (it should have a capital A lookylikey icon next to it )

5. Click on VLC in the Apps section and then scroll down until you see Add File option, click that and navigate to the film location that you want to add (note it needs to be the film itself and not the containing folder)

6. Select the film by clicking on it and then confirming open, the device will then copy the film into the VLC folder (if you look at the top of the itunes window, it will give a progress update on the copying, when you have finished transferring, simply disconnect the lead after closing itunes window)

7.Rinse and repeat many times (free space on the ipad dependent - once a film has been watched and it is wanting to be deleted to free up space for the next film (see 9.)

8. The transferred film should now be available to watch, simply press the VLC icon on the homepage and watch the desired film

9. You can always delete it by selecting the film (press and hold it) and they all start to wobble and a small circle appears in each film (at the top left position), simply select the film and pressing the dustbin icon on the bottom right of the screen)

HTH
    s_d
    Originally posted by stinky_daddy
    great set of instructions.
    many thanks as i too could not fathom this out!!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 15th May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:34 PM
    great set of instructions.
    Originally posted by tonygold
    I'll second that.
    I followed the instructions and they worked perfectly.

Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,025Posts Today

9,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin