Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 11th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 242Posts
    • 28Thanks
    vikramrkin
    Cost of break pad + caliper for Astra 2008 model
    • 11th May 18, 8:00 PM
    Cost of break pad + caliper for Astra 2008 model 11th May 18 at 8:00 PM
    Hi All,

I had a burning smell from my 2008 Vauxhall Astra's rear wheel so took it to Halfords for their "free" break check.

Turns out that I needed to replace one break caliper and four discs and four break pads. They quoted £570 and after a bit of haggling, reduced it to £500.

I paid this and got the work done. Only after finishing my work today, had some time to check the price of these parts online and they seem much less than what I have paid (I paid £150 for two front brake discs where as a quick search comes up with £15/disc).

Have I been ripped off or its a reasonable price to pay considering the labour? I know I should have checked this before agreeing for the repair, but...

Thanks
    Vik
Page 1
    • markudman
    • By markudman 11th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    • 11th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:23 PM
    Simple answer is YES, everybody that goes to National companies gets rip off.
    Front disc's and pads £80
    rear disc's and pads £80
    Caliper £70 Why only one, they should be replaced as a pair.
    Parts £230.00 MAX
    Labour £150.00 MAX
    Total £380.00 Max
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:46 PM
    Simple answer is YES, everybody that goes to National companies gets rip off.
    Front disc's and pads £80
    rear disc's and pads £80
    Parts £230.00 MAX
    Labour £150.00 MAX
    Total £380.00 Max
    Originally posted by markudman
    A really quick google brings up £73, so brand such as Halfords you would expect to pay more.
    I would say that fitting a full set of discs/pads was the real rip-off, must have been a good sales talk.
    But of course I am just guessing.

• s b
    • By s b 11th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    s b
    • 11th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:09 PM
    this is a money saving forum please learn from this op and use your local independent garage next time,'im sure friends local could recommend one
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 11th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    vikramrkin
    • 11th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:24 PM
    Thanks guys. I did think that I have paid more and thanks for confirming that. Did not have a good experience with local independent last time so went to Halfords. Next time will look for another independent. Lesson learnt!!
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th May 18, 11:40 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 10,497 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 11th May 18, 11:40 PM
    • 11th May 18, 11:40 PM
    Why replace a fully working brake caliper?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 12th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 12th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 12th May 18, 12:51 AM
    Why would you replace calipers in pairs?
    Usually, a caliper is only replaced if the piston is seized beyond repair or a bleed nipple has gone. Why replace the other one if it!!!8217;s still functioning properly? What poor advice.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:36 AM
    Utter rubbish.
    • facade
    • By facade 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    facade
    • 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    If you intend to keep the car a while, and you have to pay someone to do all the work on it, then it can make financial sense to get both callipers changed at once, it only adds a few minutes labour now, rather than have to do the second one in a short time.

But there is no "should" as far as I know, and I certainly would only change the failed one, as I'm doing the work myself, and I don't want to pay for 2 when only 1 is actually needed today.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • markudman
    • By markudman 12th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    The reason you replace both is,
    like rear wheel cylinders, if you replace one, new one is working better that the older one, and can cause brake imbalance,or cause the older one to fail suddenly, I worked for a Ambulance service and we always replaced the pair on a axle.
    This was proofed in the early days when we only replaced one. and always replaced the other side soon afterwards, so made it policy to replace them as a pair.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I worked for a Ambulance service and we always replaced the pair on a axle.
    This was proofed in the early days when we only replaced one. and always replaced the other side soon afterwards, so made it policy to replace them as a pair.
    I work for a local school, and their school minibuses never get a puncture repair, they fit a new tyre; some organisation are over careful in regards to safety and wasteful.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 14,809 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I must admit that I replace callipers and wheel cylinders in pairs. My reasoning is that if one has failed, the other one can't be far behind.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I must admit that I replace callipers and wheel cylinders in pairs. My reasoning is that if one has failed, the other one can't be far behind.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    By that reasoning, would you suggest that the OP should have replaced all four calipers?

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 14,809 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    By that reasoning, would you suggest that the OP should have replaced all four calipers?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Probably not a bad idea, particularly if they intend to keep the car.

I recently replaced both rear callipers on the rear axle of my wife's car. The only reason I didn't replace the fronts was because the previous owner had had them replaced two months earlier.

Last year I replaced all six wheel cylinders on my Land Rover when one failed.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 12-05-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • markudman
    • By markudman 13th May 18, 12:41 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Now you are being silly, only one set needs to be replaced, to keep balance across a axle.
    All four wheels should be bleed, until clean fluid come though, What I do is vacuum the reservoir (not with a hover) fill with a clean unopened bottle and suck or push the fluid round the system until clean fluid come out into the bottle.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th May 18, 1:44 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Now you are being silly, only one set needs to be replaced, to keep balance across a axle.
    'Gloomendoom' was saying that it was the age of the components, not balance, since the discs were being replaced .......

and you never know when .... 'the previous owner had had them replaced .....'

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th May 18, 9:01 AM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 10,497 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    The reason you replace both is,
    like rear wheel cylinders, if you replace one, new one is working better that the older one, and can cause brake imbalance,or cause the older one to fail suddenly
    Brake calipers are simple hydraulic devices. Unless something is seriously wrong with them, their performance doesn't degrade with time / use.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 14,809 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Brake calipers are simple hydraulic devices. Unless something is seriously wrong with them, their performance doesn't degrade with time / use.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    My experience is exactly the opposite. Internal and external corrosion, hardening and degradation of the seals all take their toll. Ceramic pistons have a tendency to distort with age and stick.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 13th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    OK lets look at this statement, And I'll use this Astra's rear Calipers as an example ,

There is 3 moving parts, the piston, the slider's and handbrake gear.

These sliding calipers are prone to seizure due to corrosion in two areas.

if the slider's are seized, then no need to replace the whole caliper, you can remove the old ones, clean, grease and replace the slider's.

The rear Calipers on this car have the hand brake incorporated into the caliper.

This works by using a gear inside the piston,

Brake fluid has hygroscopic properties - meaning that it absorbs moisture during its life in your car through the pipes, hoses and joints that it lubricates, (See more about brake fluid blow)

The moisture corrodes the Piston, bores and handbrake gears of the caliper and hardens the seals, resulting in the caliper seizing ( this is why is so important to do a brake fluid change at least every 2 years)

Their performance degrade with time / use

Why is brake fluid important?
    Brake fluid plays a crucial role in your braking system as it transfers the force created when a driver presses the brake pedal directly onto the wheel hub.

Heat generated under braking, especially under heavier breaking or prolonged breaking, may affect the brake fluid which can only work if it is liquid and not so hot that it has become vapour.
    Therefore the boiling point that your brake fluid can achieve is critical to efficient braking as temperatures above the boiling point form vapour bubbles in the system, potentially resulting in brake failure.
    In addition, the brake fluid serves as a lubricant of all movable parts and prevents corrosion. It has to be compatible with rubber seals and hoses thus allowing braking systems to achieve long service and optimal performance.

As the water content in the brake fluid increases, the temperature the liquid boils at decreases. The boiling point can be significantly reduced by water contamination which will have a negative effect on your braking ability.

Whilst regular servicing of your vehicle will include checking the boiling point of your brake fluid, vehicle manufacturers recommend that you change your brake fluid at least every two years if not sooner (check your vehicle handbook for details).

Changing brake fluid when recommended prevents brake failure and maintains the boiling point at a safe level.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,244Posts Today

7,529Users online

Martin's Twitter