Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrew71
    • By andrew71 11th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,052Posts
    • 6,680Thanks
    andrew71
    Wish you'd never bothered win?
    • 11th May 18, 7:19 PM
    Wish you'd never bothered win? 11th May 18 at 7:19 PM
    Have you ever won a competition that's caused problems (minor or major)? Waiting to long for a prize, having to chase around or them denying you were the winner?

Page 1
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 11th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 18,576 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 11th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:03 PM
    I Won a 'design a pair of shoes' competition in October last year- said they would have them ready in January, I got that, Christmas rush and all that. Heard from them in February, then nothing until I emailed them in April and said they would have them by the end of the month. Still nothing so I'm pretty much given up on them now, which is a shame as it was an effort comp and I really liked the idea of the prize. They have ran two other competitions since I won.
    Last edited by Blueyez; 12-05-2018 at 1:49 AM.
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 12th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Autumnella
    • 12th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:05 AM
    Won an annual perfume society membership. Had to chase it up several times, then when it did arrive it came as a gift card which didn't work. After some back and forth they had to manually put it through.

However, normally when you sign up for the perfume society you get a box of perfume samples and was the only reason I applied, which I didn't receive. By that point I was fed up and also moving home so didn't both chasing it up. After being a member of the perfume society I still don't see what the point in it is.
    • Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 12th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 1,203,044 Thanks
    Midnighter
    • 12th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:26 AM
    I won an art book in a magazine's competition years ago, and it took about a year of emails before I finally received it. First they claimed they hadn't forwarded the winner's list to the publisher, then ignored emails for 10 or 11 months, before finally telling my that the publisher had been without a PR person. Within hours of giving me the publisher's 'new' PR person's email I had a lovely response, and received the book within a few days.
    2018 Wins: Midnight Radiance Mask, Paris Through a Fashion Eye, Salvage the Bones, A Darker State, One Part Plant, Sailors Behind the Medals, Dancing Solar Rabbit & Pomegranate Active.

Avatar Angel Seraphina painted by Julie L.
    • Miap
    • By Miap 12th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Miap
    • 12th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:36 AM
    I won a gleam at the beginning of March, and after a month sent a friendly email checking everything was ok, and got an apologetic response, saying they'd chase. Waited another month, and nothing, so sent another, which has been ignored.
    • xcxcsophiexcxc
    • By xcxcsophiexcxc 12th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    xcxcsophiexcxc
    • 12th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:48 AM
    I won a prize on quite a famous uk parents website. The prize came from an Australian company which wasn't made clear. I let my sister arrange the delivery as it was for her as she was expecting however she got billed over 30 in customs. She asked me to check with them as apparently it should of been a mistake. Had little or no response from the company , dragged on a bit in the meantime my sister moved. Advise for FedEx was poor across departments , espeacilly as they did not ever respond to the sender though they could've called but just sent emails , FedEx told us to bring it up with the sender but then started sending her further invoices for late payment which she didn't receive as she moved house !
    Anyway long story short I had to pay over 50 in customs , the company said they'd reimburse but gave them all the details and nothing's come through ! It's a massive mess !
    • topaz13
    • By topaz13 12th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    topaz13
    • 12th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:04 AM
    I once won a fantastic prize from a national newspaper. It consisted of prizes from 4 different companies, which would all come from their respective places. The first prize arrived the next day - yippee. The second a week later. One month later, the other two still hadn't arrived, so I contacted the paper, who contacted the two companies. Two days later, part of prize three arrived. I contacted them direct and they told me that all of it had been sent. Nope. It took months of emails and phone calls before it arrived - damaged. Prize four still hadn't appeared after four months! It was a 200 voucher for clothing. It finally arrived after me threatening to report the company for breach of terms. So, I ordered the clothes (two very expensive dresses) They hadn't arrived a month later, so back on the phone again! They finally arrived and they didn't fit! Should have been a size 10, but were more like an 18! Rang them up, sent them back recorded, asked for a smaller size. (didn't trust them by this point!) Two weeks on, no dresses. Rang them again, they said they hadn't arrived. They had, because the recorded delivery report said so! Eventually they "found" them. The two new dresses finally arrived. One was OK, the other had a big hole in it! By this point, I had just had enough. I kept the one dress and threw the other away.
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 12th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 10,290 Thanks
    janE1956
    • 12th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:58 PM
    won with Voucher Cloud in March, lots of e maails back and forth to them and Boohoo man (who the prize was for) have now contacted ASA who are looking into it, also a years worth of porridge (received 2 bags) so asked about that they are pupposed to be sending more, You loose the will to live with them though
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 37,020 Posts
    • 249,113 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 12th May 18, 2:56 PM
    Wish you'd never bothered win?
    No, had to chase up less than 0.3% of all the things I have won so not bothered by having to make a small amount of effort for a couple of prizes.
    Internet goodness 24838
    • ANGELWINGS
    • By ANGELWINGS 12th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 14,718 Thanks
    ANGELWINGS
    I won a Fitbit from QHotels Advent competition last year and it didnt arrive.
    After the ASA contacted them it materialised that it was wrongly addressed and signed for by someone at a different address to mine.
    Instead of replacing the prize QHotels are shamelessly dragging the issue on and on by trying to make a case against the courier and offering me dinner at a Manchester hotel instead of my prize ( I live as far away from Manchester as anyone possibly could, and they know this ! ).
    It just shows me the true colours of this company, that they are so mean spirited that they choose not to replace a prize when they have sent it out to the wrong address.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 12th May 18, 4:10 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 304,387 Thanks
    DUKE
    I won a range cooker from an ITV comp, when they attempted delivered they said they couldn't get it up the stairs to my flat. So we agreed that I'd try & sell it, or give it away to a charity, & they could deliver there. Finally I rang them & tried to arrange a delivery, but the woman on the phone told me I could only have a 60cm cooker, & not the range cooker that I'd won. I'd just been diagnosed with cancer at the time & just didn't have any fight in me to argue, so I left it at that.
    Thanks everyone!
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 12th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 18,576 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I won a prize on quite a famous uk parents website. The prize came from an Australian company which wasn't made clear. I let my sister arrange the delivery as it was for her as she was expecting however she got billed over 30 in customs. She asked me to check with them as apparently it should of been a mistake. Had little or no response from the company , dragged on a bit in the meantime my sister moved. Advise for FedEx was poor across departments , espeacilly as they did not ever respond to the sender though they could've called but just sent emails , FedEx told us to bring it up with the sender but then started sending her further invoices for late payment which she didn't receive as she moved house !
    Anyway long story short I had to pay over 50 in customs , the company said they'd reimburse but gave them all the details and nothing's come through ! It's a massive mess !
    Originally posted by xcxcsophiexcxc
    I had a similar issue last year, the prize came from Switzerland-the company sorted it in the end. I now make a habit to inquire where the prize will be dispatched from and what courier they will use. "Oh thank you, I was wondering what courier will be delivering it? So I can keep my eyes peeled " works most of the time, many even provide the tracking information if it's available. I also research the prize and/or the competition host to make sure they are UK or EU based.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin