Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kelis
    • By kelis 11th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kelis
    Car insurance for my deceased father's car
    • 11th May 18, 6:33 PM
    Car insurance for my deceased father's car 11th May 18 at 6:33 PM
    Hi, my dad recently sadly passed away quite suddenly. He lived with me, and he has a Jaguar parked on my driveway. As the DVLA have been advised about him passing away, his insurance etc becomes invalid. However, until I decide what to do with the car, and I don't want to be rushed into selling it, I would like to insure it against theft. As my dad was the registered keeper, and I don't want to put it in my name or anything, am I able to get insurance on a car that isn't mine ? I will only need to insure it for say 3 or 4 months probably. It won't be driven anywhere, but I am worried if it gets stolen off the drive it would not be insured (it's worth around 28k). Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:33 PM
    Yes you can get insurance just state registered keeper is not you
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4,756 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    Have you checked with his insurance company as the policy may be continued to cover his executor for a while.
    • kelis
    • By kelis 12th May 18, 8:51 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kelis
    • 12th May 18, 8:51 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:51 AM
    Thank you, yes they gave me 2 weeks to try and sort something else out, but nothing further than that unfortunately
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 12th May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 5,667 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 12th May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:35 AM
    The owner and registered keeper are not the same thing. The owner is currently your fathers estate, but assuming you are his executor you need to register the car in your name even if you are only keeping the car for a short time. You will also have to tax it or SORN it.

If you have your own car insurance, speak to them.
    • kelis
    • By kelis 12th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kelis
    • 12th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:04 AM
    Thank you, so when the DVLA were advised (via the Tell Us Once service when we registered his death), they would not automatically SORN the car at that point ? I am the executor (along with my sister who lives abroad), but didn't realise I would have to put it into my name
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 5,667 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:39 AM
    Thank you, so when the DVLA were advised (via the Tell Us Once service when we registered his death), they would not automatically SORN the car at that point ? I am the executor (along with my sister who lives abroad), but didn't realise I would have to put it into my name
    Originally posted by kelis
    No it would not be automatilly SORNed.

https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin