Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 11th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,883Posts
    • 10,133Thanks
    LilacLillie
    How do I find out how much shares are worth?
    • 11th May 18, 6:13 PM
    How do I find out how much shares are worth? 11th May 18 at 6:13 PM
    An old friend died last year, his solicitor spoke to me on New year's Eve (2017), and said I'd been left some shares for 'Criterion Ltd', something to do with the old Vic theatre.
    In January I confirmed everything solicitor asked for and have heard nothing since.
    Today I called and he said he thought it had been dealt with?
    He asked if I want the shares or the money, yet he hasn't mentioned how many shares or what they are worth.
    Said he'd call back mid next week to ask what I want.
    Does anyone know if I can check the share price per unit myself.
    Never had shares, have googled but really don't know what I'm looking for or where.
    Help appreciated please
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
Page 1
    • Trentenders
    • By Trentenders 11th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    Trentenders
    • 11th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:01 PM
    Well, Companies House show two companies with that name:

CRITERION LTD
    Company number 09740616

Directors were three Zimbaweans, however the company was dissolved in January 2017 via compulsory strike-off.

Good luck getting anything out of this, if it's your company.

or

CRITERION LIMITED
    Company number 10733350

Company only incorporated in April 2017, with one major shareholder.

Are you sure that it's not another company with a similar name? Ultimately, if it's a Limited company, you might find that you are reliant upon other shareholders being willing and able to buy your shares.

I couldn't find any PLC's named Criterion, whose shares may have been more simple to sell.

You'll need to ask more questions regarding what the company is, how the shares are valued and how they plan to dispose of those shares.
    • greatkingrat
    • By greatkingrat 11th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    greatkingrat
    • 11th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:12 PM
    I suspect the shares are in "Greene Light Stage PLC" which was previously known as "Old Vic Productions PLC", and before that "Criterion Productions PLC".

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02863873

The company does not appear to be listed on any stock exchange, so there is no easy way to find out what they are worth. Whether they are worth 100 or 10000, it is likely to be best to just take the money rather than remain invested in a company you know nothing about.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    If they are not listed then its unlikely the solicitor will be able to sell then either so the only option may be to have the shares transferred to you.
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 11th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 10,133 Thanks
    LilacLillie
    • 11th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:16 PM
    I suspect the shares are in "Greene Light Stage PLC" which was previously known as "Old Vic Productions PLC", and before that "Criterion Productions PLC".

The company does not appear to be listed on any stock exchange, so there is no easy way to find out what they are worth. Whether they are worth 100 or 10000, it is likely to be best to just take the money rather than remain invested in a company you know nothing about.
    Originally posted by greatkingrat

Yes that's the one! Thank you everyone for your help.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

---------------------------------------------------
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 10,552 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:59 AM
    Sounds more like the shares were bought by your friend either as a very speculative investment or more likely as a way of supporting the theatre. I doubt they will be worth much if anything.

If they are worth very little,which means that no one else can be found to buy them and perhaps an existing shareholder wishes to bump their ownership up and buy them for a song, then I would hang on in the hope that at some point someone else wishes to buy the theatre or gaina controlling share, and you benefit off the back of that because although nominally they may be worth say 100 they may be worth much more than that if they allow someone to gain a controlling interest. So, I would not take a small sum, I'd gamble that at some point they might jump in value. OTOH if worth a substantial amount then take it (IMO that's very unlikely though)
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 12-05-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 12th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 9,703 Posts
    • 9,941 Thanks
    Linton
    • 12th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:40 AM

Originally posted by greatkingrat

If you look at the "Filing History" tab in November 2015 you will find a full list of shareholders which may be helpful.
    • Chargem
    • By Chargem 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Chargem
    • 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    A browse of the 2016 accounts, which are the latest available, suggest a very unprofitable company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin