Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 11th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 124Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    Cash buyer and they didn't have a survey!
    • 11th May 18, 6:07 PM
    Cash buyer and they didn't have a survey! 11th May 18 at 6:07 PM
    Luckily this isn't me as I had a full building survey.

This is on behalf of a work colleague who I think has been a bit silly. They bought a property cash (downsized to a bungalow so were cash buyers. To save they didn't have a survey (I know!)

The seller was very helpful apparantly and gave them lots of information, e.g. their chancel repair check, their valuation when they bought it (though it was only a drive by) and actually by all accounts seems to have been more than helpful. There was nothing that apparently that gave their cause for concern. Modern 1990s bungalow. Gas Safe certificate all provided, regular services etc. I did at the time say I was surprised they didn't want a survey.

Everything has been fine until they have looked to do some major work to extend and long story short, the builder expressed concerns and they have had a RICS person out who has said the property has ground movement. Basically lots of concerns. They had the sellers details and have phoned them up and they said they had no knowledge of any issues.

I am guessing it's their own fault for not having a survey!
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 5,232 Posts
    • 7,950 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th May 18, 6:09 PM
    That is what the survey is for.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 11th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    ''I am guessing it's their own fault for not having a survey!''

Got it in one. Nothing they can do.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 11th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 11th May 18, 6:10 PM
    Exactly my view too! Made me very relieved I had one. Yes we spent just over 1k on surveys but at least I know it isn't falling down!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11,535 Posts
    • 13,354 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Unless they had a full blown survey specifically looking for subsidence, then an ordinary survey might well have missed it and it would likely have had enough caveats to absolve the surveyor of any responsibility. He could probably have used the caveats to shore up the house but it's likely that's as much use as it would have been.

If his house is covered by insurance, that may well pay for any building works needed.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 11th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 11th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:18 PM
    Unless they had a full blown survey specifically looking for subsidence, then an ordinary survey might well have missed it and it would likely have had enough caveats to absolve the surveyor of any responsibility. He could probably have used the caveats to shore up the house but it's likely that's as much use as it would have been.

If his house is covered by insurance, that may well pay for any building works needed.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I did say that. I haven't seen the full survey but it doesn't sound good. By the sounds of it the sellers weren't aware either having not done any structural work, just new kitchen, bathroom etc and they didn't have a full survey either. They bought it 15 years ago so it would have been just over 10 years old then so I guess they didn't think they needed one.

Now they can't put the extension on without major she has said she may sell but I guess they will have to mention it to any future buyer, unless they just hope any future buyer doesn't have a survey!!

Tough lesson..
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 21,654 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 11th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:15 PM
    Exactly my view too! Made me very relieved I had one. Yes we spent just over 1k on surveys but at least I know it isn't I have someone to sue if it does falling down!
    Originally posted by todayisagreatday
    With apologies for the alteration
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 33,479 Posts
    • 20,231 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:25 AM
    The builder expressed concerns

What did the builder spot?

Any signs on the others on the street.

unusual to hit just one property unless it is/was something very local like a tree.

Sounds like they(old owner) may not have known or had anything done or there may be an insurance trail to prove they new and did not disclose.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 14th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    • 14th May 18, 11:14 AM
    • 14th May 18, 11:14 AM
    I'm not entirely sure, something to do with the floor being uneven and cracks. I'll try and find out. It's only a small cul-de-sac of 11 houses (some bungalows and some houses, all built at the same time same builder) some have had conservatories etc, building work etc, no trees.

It all doesn't seem to make sense, I mean from what I've read here if it's some kind of major issues, rarely does it effect one property if they were all built at same time.

Over the weekend she mentioned the report they have had and it sounds suspicially like a Homebuyers (can you do these post purchase??)

I'll try and see the wording. I wonder if it's a combination of builder making it seem bad aka opportunity to charge for extra and backside covering in the report.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    eddddy
    Over the weekend she mentioned the report they have had and it sounds suspicially like a Homebuyers (can you do these post purchase??)
    If you suspect ground movement, you would explain your concerns to the surveyor and ask them to inspect and report specifically on ground movement. (You wouldn't ask for a generic survey like a Homebuyer's report.)

It all doesn't seem to make sense, I mean from what I've read here if it's some kind of major issues, rarely does it effect one property if they were all built at same time.
    It depends on the soil type.

If the soil is sandy, a leaking mains water pipe or drain can wash away the soil under the foundations of the house.

If the soil is clay, trees can suck the water out of the clay causing it to shrink under the foundations. Or you cut down a tree, the resulting extra water in the clay can cause it to swell under the foundations.

Any of the above can cause structural problems in just one house in the street.
    Last edited by eddddy; 14-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 14th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    dunroving
    If you suspect ground movement, you would explain your concerns to the surveyor and ask them to inspect and report specifically on ground movement. (You wouldn't ask for a generic survey like a Homebuyer's report.)

It depends on the soil type.

If the soil is sandy, a leaking mains water pipe or drain can wash away the soil under the foundations of the house.

If the soil is clay, trees can suck the water out of the clay causing it to shrink under the foundations. Or you cut down a tree, the resulting extra water in the clay can cause it to swell under the foundations.

Any of the above can cause structural problems in houses.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Or in the case of my first house, a leaking water pipe next to the house can cause clay soil to swell over the years.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 19,122 Posts
    • 17,525 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I've not had surveys on the last few properties I've purchased, and my mother didn't on her two recent abortive purchases and the one she did eventually buy.

The previous place I purchased, I did have a survey - in the 15 years we were there, none of the things it was gloomy about were a problem, while none of the problems were flagged.

Somebody with a decent knowledge of properties can do at least as good a job, and has more investment in the outcome. The "comeback" against a surveyor is lengthy and uncertain, at best.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 14th May 18, 1:54 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    I've not had surveys on the last few properties I've purchased, and my mother didn't on her two recent abortive purchases and the one she did eventually buy.

The previous place I purchased, I did have a survey - in the 15 years we were there, none of the things it was gloomy about were a problem, while none of the problems were flagged.

Somebody with a decent knowledge of properties can do at least as good a job, and has more investment in the outcome. The "comeback" against a surveyor is lengthy and uncertain, at best.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    ^^^ALL of this, all day long ^^^
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

9,859Users online

Martin's Twitter