Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joshinlondon
    • By joshinlondon 11th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joshinlondon
    Old Metal double glazing locks and insurance issues
    • 11th May 18, 6:00 PM
    Old Metal double glazing locks and insurance issues 11th May 18 at 6:00 PM
    Hi
    We have old double glazing with metal frames, on the handle the there is a small screw turned by an allen key that locks the window.

Does this comply with insurance companies requirements to have key locked windows? IF not can anyone make a recommendation as to what I could add.

I also have a sliding patio door of the same generation, I am not sure if this will comply for insurance needs any advice in terms of what i need would be of use.

Many thanks

Not sure how to add pics...
Page 1
    • ashe
    • By ashe 11th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    ashe
    • 11th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:04 PM
    You can get replacement double glazing handles for very cheap (5ish) which come with a key. They are a DIY job - I have zero skills and had them fitted in a few minutes. Try those?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th May 18, 10:10 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th May 18, 10:10 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:10 PM
    I have never seen any specific requirements in any insurance policies that I have ever had. All they ever ask is whether or not the windows have locks.

So if your windows have locks, then they have locks. If the insurance company requires locks that meet a certain standard, then they must tell you that when you take out the policy.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 15,109 Posts
    • 20,662 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:15 PM
    Myinsurance company requires key operated locks on accessible windows.

They are operated by keys... allen keys.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter