Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 11th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,775Posts
    • 2,243Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    utility Co no credit check
    • 11th May 18, 4:49 PM
    utility Co no credit check 11th May 18 at 4:49 PM
    need to move from pre pay to conventional meters and direct debit , SSE have declined me due to credit assessment

are there any other companies that may look more favorably on me
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
Page 1
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 11th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 11th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:57 PM
    need to move from pre pay to conventional meters and direct debit , SSE have declined me due to credit assessment

Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Maybe try EDF. I recently moved to them from SSE funny enough.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 11th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 11th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:12 PM
    Who are you with at the moment?
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 11th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 11th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:24 PM
    sse on pre pay
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 11th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Try Eversmart they do not due credit checks and a lot of the smaller companies do not as well. I am on a credit meter.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:01 PM
    You will only be able to move to another company, if you transfer over to their payg tariff. Then you can attempt to ask them to move over to credit meters.

Your best bet would be EDF, but this would not be a guarantee that they would accept you.

It took me a bit to get off payg meters, but I was on a payg smart meter and told Scottish Power a little porky.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 6,138 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:26 PM
    I may be wrong but I thought that most suppliers would be happy with a PAYG to credit meter move if a security deposit was offered/agreed.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 12th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:40 PM
    edf will transfer me to them on pre pay , and then fit normal meters and pay by direct debit , however the tarrif they have offered are not much better than PAYG

I am just worried about being tied into an expensive contract
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 12th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 12th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:23 PM
    What you need to be careful of is the fact that it can take up to 12 weeks for the national database to update with your new meter.

Even if you could go onto EDF's standard tariff, you may not be able to move until the database update.

Saying that, I moved to Scottish Power with a meter that was listed as smart prepay. When they queried this, I told them I had just had a meter change. They overrode the National Database and I had their smart meters installed sharpish.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th May 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Try Eversmart they do not due credit checks and a lot of the smaller companies do not as well. I am on a credit meter.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    thanks for that , I noticed that they also did the pre pay with no standing charge , which i was on with ebigo/sse untill they stopped it and added 197 to my yearly bills , as a low user this will be my first move now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,187Users online

Martin's Twitter