Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RachaelButters
    Car Finance - Arnold Clark
    • 11th May 18, 3:07 PM
    Car Finance - Arnold Clark 11th May 18 at 3:07 PM
    I need some advice and help.
    I recently purchased a car from Arnold Clark on PCP at the end of March 2018. The car has started to cut out on me during journeys, traffic lights, junctions and even filling it with fuel. I have been in touch with Arnold Clark and have been told they would like to ďrectifyĒ the problem which is fair enough to but the point I tried to make to them is that I needed a new car to get myself to and from work everyday without needing constant work like my previous car. Now I am not one but happy that this has happened so early on into me getting this car constidering it has had an MOT and a service just before collection.

They have told me my only options is I can hand the car back and get a new one or I can sell the car back to them and pay off the negative equity which by the way is £12300, minus £6500 they were going to buy the back off me for leaving me with £6300 to pay off the remaining amount and Iím only 20 years old.

I have only paid two instalments toward this car and I am 10 days over the 30 day mark you have to decide weather the car is fit for you and I find this very unfair. I have been in store and made a complaint to the manager and broke down in tears and he basically just smiles like thereís nothing they can do.

I want rid of this car and I would like to only deal with cash for cars from now on. Someone please help me get out of this situation as Iím very worried.
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 11th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 11th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:25 PM
    The car has started to cut out on me during journeys, traffic lights, junctions and even filling it with fuel.
    Originally posted by RachaelButters
    Why are you filling it with fuel with the engine on
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    • 11th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:27 PM
    Obviously not with the engine on but once I!!!8217;ve filled the tank it just cuts out on me
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 11th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    • 11th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:46 PM
    £6300 negative equity in 6 weeks. That's unbelievable.

I would give them a chance to fix it, but demand a courtesy car.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    • 11th May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:52 PM
    I!!!8217;ve booked it in for them to look at but really just want to hand the car back because I don!!!8217;t want to risk the fact that this could be the start of occurring issues. It!!!8217;s an absolute nightmare
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 11th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 11th May 18, 3:57 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:57 PM
    It's an absolute nightmare
    It isn't really, that's making a mountain out of a molehill. AS have offered to fix the issue, you have no idea whether there will be further issues and you have the possibility of a car having faults wherever you buy it from so what's to say your next one won't be the same.

Let them fix it and if it doesn't work there are options for you but to not even let them have a go makes no sense at all.
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    • 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    I am willing for them to look at the car and determine the problem but the point I was making is that it shouldn!!!8217;t be. I would rather just reject it and walk away because I can!!!8217;t risk the finances.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 11th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 11th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:11 PM
    This sounds more like buyers remorse to be fair

you have to give them a chance to fix it, you are getting worked up over somthing that may be a small issue such as a sensor
    ďPeople are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we areĒ

Rat Race
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    • 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    Yeah I!!!8217;m giving them the chance to fix the car. Just had such bad luck with previous cars and wouldn!!!8217;t want to go down the same route with this one.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 11th May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Cars need maintenance and repairs, there's no getting away from that.
    See what they find wrong with the car before deciding it's a lemon. Could be something as simple as a fuel filter or sensor just needs changing.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 11th May 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    If your car is at MOT age then how old is it?

If you wanted a car that nothing would go wrong with then your best bet would have been a new car. Even then, still no guarantee.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 11th May 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    £6300 negative equity in 6 weeks. That's unbelievable.

I would give them a chance to fix it, but demand a courtesy car.
    Originally posted by sheslookinhot

It sounds like OP has had their pants pulled down.

Dropping £6300 in value in 6 weeks for a car in this price bracket is unheard of surely, even more so with a used car.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 11th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Unless it's a bwm the symptoms described would indicate the most likely fault is a faulty crank position sensor. Likely cost is less than £20 for the part and a few minutes labour. At 6 weeks I would expect the dealer to do it for free.

Given the car is at least 3 years old given it needs mot it is not unreasonable for the sensor to fail suddenly.

Did you roll negative equity from your last car into the deal because you would not loose that much depreciation in 6 weeks on a new car never mind one at least 3 years old.
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    Itís a 14 plate thats on 38000 miles
    • RachaelButters
    • By RachaelButters 11th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RachaelButters
    Yeah I carried finance over from my old 04 plate Mini Cooper as it was on its last legs but that was only £1000z the manager of Arnold Clark said that the car value is sitting at £6500 and the total finance I have to pay is £12300, Iím paying £6300 interest and for what the cars even worth. Iím totally stuck.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 11th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    loskie
    mug, they saw you coming
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 11th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 24,519 Posts
    • 51,749 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Yeah I carried finance over from my old 04 plate Mini Cooper as it was on its last legs but that was only £1000z the manager of Arnold Clark said that the car value is sitting at £6500 and the total finance I have to pay is £12300, Iím paying £6300 interest and for what the cars even worth. Iím totally stuck.
    Yes, you very probably are.

PCP is often a mug's game. On a used car with a previous deal rolled up ......... Well you don't need me to tell you.

But. The best way out from where you are is very likely to get Shark to fix the fault and then drive on at this car for the period of the finance while saving for the next one.
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 11th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    In general, how can a 2004 Mini be on its "last legs" ?
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 12th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    davidwood681
    In general, how can a 2004 Mini be on its "last legs" ?
    Originally posted by sheslookinhot
    It's 14 years old and depending on it's previous owners, it might be the end of the road.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,522Posts Today

9,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin