Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Antelope29
    • By Antelope29 11th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Antelope29
    Working abroad in my 50s
    • 11th May 18, 2:26 PM
    Working abroad in my 50s 11th May 18 at 2:26 PM
    I have had an NHS pension for 9 years and I also have a small pension from a retail bank payable when I'm 60. I'm 58 now, still work full time and have recently acquired New Zealand citizenship. I'd like to take advantage of this and work in NZ for at least a year or 2 but I need to know how this will impact on my NHS pension. Is there a NZ equivalent? Can I 'park' the NHS pension and add to it later. I could do with some advice but don't know where to go for it as I need information that will take into account systems in 2 countries.
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th May 18, 7:31 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Dox
    • 11th May 18, 7:31 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:31 PM
    No, no NZ equivalent to the NHS scheme. Plenty of useful info online if you do a bit of googling - e.g. https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/pensions/travelling-or-moving/social-security-agreements/uk-pensions-paid-in-nz-faqs.html#null

and

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/leaving-or-taking-break-scheme
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 10,574 Posts
    • 7,234 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 11th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:47 PM
    In principle being a deferred member of the NHS scheme is a fine pension provision. I speak from ignorance but in your shoes I'd be careful to check whether any decision I made might alter my scheme retirement age.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    Have you checked your State pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 13th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    • 13th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 13th May 18, 12:06 PM
    I have had an NHS pension for 9 years and I also have a small pension from a retail bank payable when I'm 60. I'm 58 now, still work full time and have recently acquired New Zealand citizenship. I'd like to take advantage of this and work in NZ for at least a year or 2 but I need to know how this will impact on my NHS pension. Is there a NZ equivalent? Can I 'park' the NHS pension and add to it later. I could do with some advice but don't know where to go for it as I need information that will take into account systems in 2 countries.
    Originally posted by Antelope29
    Have you noticed how your UK state pension will get destroyed by inflation if you reside in New Zealand?

No more annual increases...

Warmest regards,
    FA
    • Antelope29
    • By Antelope29 14th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Antelope29
    • 14th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:43 PM
    Have you noticed how your UK state pension will get destroyed by inflation if you reside in New Zealand?

No more annual increases...

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    I won't get my UK state pension for another 8 years by which time I'll be back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin