Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • a9191
    • By a9191 11th May 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    a9191
    breaking up (home owners)
    • 11th May 18, 2:25 PM
    breaking up (home owners) 11th May 18 at 2:25 PM
    I don't really know where to else to go for advice and hoped someone may know or have a similar experience. Myself and now ex boyfriend had bought our first home together. (In both our names) Although I just pay all the bills too him and he then pays the bills that are in our name. So he has all the account details! (Hopefully this is not a problem?) A few months ago he had tried to buy me out the property and that I would just be paying rent as I had quit my job due to the pressures of him telling me to earn more. He's always earned more than me and from the start of the relationship it's also been 50/50 and I've struggled! I can't blame him for having a good job but at the time I said no as I would be able to borrow the money and I also got given my old job back. Everything was fine but he has been making out to everyone that my mental health is really bad and whilst on a work night out he kissed his colleague and they've been chatting away ever since, when I asked him about his night out he never told me about this and it was through Facebook I found out what had happened and seen all the texts back and forth. I feel angry because he knows he will get the flat as he earns more and I had only just got my job back so I wouldn't be able to buy him out.

Last night I told him I wanted to think about things and didn't want to be pushed but then he started shouting and becoming more aggressive as he had expected me out of the property before he got home. He then brought his mum round which he knows how much she intimidates me. They then offered me half of the money of what I've paid into the flat so far and that I'll get the rest as it will take some days to clear. He hasn't told me when he wants to sort the legal side and I don't know where to go from here..

Can this affect me in the future if I want another mortgage when I am able to afford it?
    What is the process of it changing to just his name? - Will HSBC do checks again and if he was to not get approved would this then cost us both? Does it have to go through a lawyer too or can HSBC just change this and what would be the costs?
Page 1
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    I suggest you speak to a lawyer here asap.

You are likely to be entitled to a half of the value that the property may have gained since you bought it.

Also there is no guarantee he will be able to get a mortgage on his own.

Either way get a legal advice asap.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 16,828 Posts
    • 8,779 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:54 PM
    Dont accept any money or move out until your name is off that mortgage.
    What happens if you move out and he changes his mind or can not get you off the Mortgage?

As above - solicitors job, get some advice.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin