Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PatBS
    • By PatBS 11th May 18, 12:54 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 6Thanks
    PatBS
    Bother applying for "Let Agreed" houses?
    • 11th May 18, 12:54 PM
    Bother applying for "Let Agreed" houses? 11th May 18 at 12:54 PM
    I'm currently looking to rent my first house this year and I've found some I've liked however they have a tag of "Let Agreed" on them, which means they've already found someone for them.

Just wondering if anyone has ever bothered to still try and go for these Let Agreed properties or does it normally mean it's a done deal? Do Agents take your details down just in case the agreement falls through? Or do they get the landlord to decide between multiple choices?
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 11th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 11th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:09 PM
    It all depends on the LA and each have different ways of approaching it.

I'm a LL and use a LA for tenant find my agent doesn't go let agreed until the tenant has been agreed in principle with me and holding deposits taken,so pretty much a done deal.

However I do know of agents who will put things up for rent and go let agreed on even the first person viewing just saying "ill take it"!This sometimes results in the property returning to the market a week or so later.

Possibly you could ask to be contacted should there be need to re advertise or indeed if they have anything due to come onto their books that is similar within a given time frame.
    in S 40 T 64 F 60
    out S 58 T 66 F 73
    2017 -32
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 11th May 18, 1:19 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    cooltt
    • 11th May 18, 1:19 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:19 PM
    I'm currently looking to rent my first house this year and I've found some I've liked however they have a tag of "Let Agreed" on them, which means they've already found someone for them.

Just wondering if anyone has ever bothered to still try and go for these Let Agreed properties or does it normally mean it's a done deal? Do Agents take your details down just in case the agreement falls through? Or do they get the landlord to decide between multiple choices?
    Originally posted by PatBS
    Offer more rent its as simple as that you have nothing to lose.

The LA has to pass on your offer UNLESS a TA has already been signed. However most letting agents lie through their teeth about everything so don't hold your breath.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 7,917 Posts
    • 21,349 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:08 PM
    I'd be reluctant to rent from a landlord and agent who accepted a higher offer when they already had someone in the process of signing up. How do you know that someone else isn't going to come along and have their higher offer accepted, leaving you on the street with nowhere to go.

There is also something of a moral issue. The timescales when renting can be tight - you get your offer accepted on the new place and give notice on the old one, or you might already be near the end of a notice period. If someone comes along and gazumps you on the new place then it may be too late to withdraw your notice and you end up completely shafted.

Some people will have little or no sympathy for the person who lost out, but unlike a gazumping situation with a house purchase, the new tenant has an ongoing relationship with a landlord and agent who participated in a gazumping situation. Karma has a way.....
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:18 PM
    Why are you using the let agreed filter if you want one that isn't?

Concentrate on finding a house that is available to let.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 11th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 11th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:53 PM
    As a LL let agreed means the LL and prospective tenant have both agreed to the contract and the tenant has paid for referencing... It is not a done thing to offer more rent, and I would say you do not want a LL that would accept this. Make sure you get yourself known to the local letting agents so they come to you directly..

The last time I was looking for a tenant I had 8 viewings lined up after it had been on rightmove for 6hrs and we stopped any more viewings, with new taxes on landlords tenants are staying longer and in certain areas it can be competitive for any decent property that comes up for rent.
    • PatBS
    • By PatBS 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    PatBS
    • 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    They were originally not Let Agreed. I added them to my saved list and then checked them again to see the Let Agreed Icon on them.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep searching
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:32 PM
    They were originally not Let Agreed. I added them to my saved list and then checked them again to see the Let Agreed Icon on them.

If you are putting them on your saved list you aren't getting in fast enough with viewings.
    • rachpid
    • By rachpid 14th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    rachpid
    • 14th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 14th May 18, 12:22 PM

Decent rental properties move fast, you need to change your Rightmove etc settings to get immediate emails when new properties come on rather than daily or weekly, and call as soon as you see one you like. Ideally like someone else said you need to get on the lists of local agents so you get called before they even go live online. This is the way we found the house we're about to move into.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin